Kelly Kettle - Hobo stove

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I was always fond of Hobo Stoves and, naturally, after acquiring a one pint Kelly Kettle I decided to modify it.

I simply wanted to use the fire in the base. My idea is to use the base and fit a tin can to it to make a Hobo Stove.

It was difficult to find a suitable tin that fitted the base but eventually I found an 900g tin of baby milk powder. (Farley's )for the top. Large tins of dog food are too small. I would be interested to find out if there are other tins out there that fit. ( I can just imagine the reaction in the supermarket if I took out the tape measure to find out the diameter of tin cans; “I know it's sold by weight, but I really need a 5 inch diameter tin of beans”)

Simply cut off the ends of the can and cut a ventilation slot at the top of the side – there already are two air holes in the base. I like to place the air holes in the top and bottom at opposite sides as I believe that this gives a better air flow.

It is quite easy to set a saucepan or frying pan on top of the can. The stove burns quite fiercely in any kind of wind. It's a great way of using up the fuel left over from boiling water for a brew up to make a little fire – or visa versa.

Approximate Dimensions: Tin diameter 5 inches, 6.25 inches high. Slot in top of can 1.5 inches high 2.5 inches wide.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
lardbloke said:
I have been considering a similar option and had forgotten all about it. I will have to give this one a go, top tip my friend....

I've got a newly empty tin of that make and size sitting, (husband eats the stuff! :eek: ) if you're coming to Brownlee I could bring it along.

Cheers,
Toddy

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
Toddy said:
I've got a newly empty tin of that make and size sitting, (husband eats the stuff! :eek: ) if you're coming to Brownlee I could bring it along.

Cheers,
Toddy

Thanks for the kind offer Toddy, but I will be unable to make the meet and any in the near future meets as well (family commitments etc).

cheers

LB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE