Kelly Kettle, aluminium

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Hi, I've been wondering if it would be unhealthy to use the kelly kettle daily (to make thee), as it's made from aluminium and I heard there'd be some link between alzheimer and aluminium. I know someone who got poisoned because of eating canned food every day.. the metal (probably tin or aluminium) leaking into food damaged her health a lot. And on the natural medicine course where my girl goes they say it's best to avoid aluminium..

Although aluminium is a very widespread metal in nature, it never is in that form or concentration.

The thermette, which is similar to the kelly kettle, and it's made out of copper (or tin), it seems that copper is good for health: http://www.thermette.com/thermette_whycopper.htm

Do you think drinking water from the alumium kelly kettle daily will make a bad impact?
Do you believe the copper version would be more healthy (when using daily)?

Another thing, how long would a kelly kettle last if you used it daily, would it last for decades?

I also heard you could eat something (i think it was silicon, which is in cereal products and unrefined grains of high fiber content) which makes sure your body won't have a hard time because of the aluminium.

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe if water is boiled in aluminum then the amount of discharge is minimal, even more so in a kelly kettle as it takes so little time to reach boiing point.

If you heat/boil certain foodstuffs (sugar is one) then the discharge is much higher. In jam making you're advised not to use aluminum as you have to boil sugar hard for several minutes which is potentially dangerous as the sugar reacts with the metal resulting in more leakage.

Hope this is right cos I've just ordered a KK from MK!!! ;)

j

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I concluded the same, and by the way, I think it improves health also a lot when you can enjoy something as good working as kelly kettle. And having to pay less for gas will reduce how much I have to work, which should improve health as well ;)

Well I'll see in a couple of years if I can still remember this, or if I got alzheimer :p

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Whenever I read comments on outdoor cook gear and aluminum I always remember to look in my local resturants at their pans.......nearly always aluminum. Elimination of aluminum cookwear for outdoor use just seems trivial when compared to all the other manufacturing and local production uses in which it is commonly used.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE