Just recently got hold of an 17 inch wet grinder...

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Of the type found in school woodwork departments to sharpen the plane irons and chisels, its got a water bath and well, its massive.
The motor (or possibly the starter switch) seems to have a problem cos when I press the green starter button it just clicks and the wheel only moves a few mil.

Now even if the motor is totally caput it can't be rocket science to replace as its on belts and I'm pretty sure that most electric motors for these kind of things in the UK run at the same RPM (1425 RPM) but I haven't checked it yet to make sure.

I'm having a bit of problems finding any information about the big grinders though, anyone know what kind of money they are new?
Know any websites that give any general info on them?
How much the big wheels are?
Its kind of too big for my needs but was too cheap to leave where it was so I bought it:eek:

pwb

Could be a capacitor problem, my old 8" grinder had that problem :rolleyes: .
With a 17" stone the motor would need an extra boost to get started provided by a capacitor.
Can't help you with cost or replacement stone info,17" is a large stone so won't be cheap me thinks.

I agree that it's to good an item not to give it a chance, I'm sure you'll get it up and running :) .

Pete.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Could be a capacitor problem, my old 8" grinder had that problem :rolleyes: .
With a 17" stone the motor would need an extra boost to get started provided by a capacitor.
Can't help you with cost or replacement stone info,17" is a large stone so won't be cheap me thinks.

I agree that it's to good an item not to give it a chance, I'm sure you'll get it up and running :) .

Pete.

Mmm, capacitor eh?

That makes a lot of sense now you mention it, I'll check it out and see what its got.
Theres quite a good repair shop round here thats very good with this kind of thing so I might take it in to get looked at..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE