Just got me a parang blade.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi,
I've been reading the threads about parang on here and looked at one at the UK Knife show got me thinking about making one up so i priced up the steel and the H/T and all the time and work i will have to put in , do i want one yes but without all the work.
So i looked up Outdoor Dynamics and end up buying 2/12" uncle Rays parang blades from them.
Nadir was very good to deal with, and i'm very happy with the price. All i got to do is make up a handle and sheath for them.

Cheers Topknot

009lxz.jpg

010mwz.jpg

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
Among several I have the RM parang blade made in Bidor. I mated it to a handle also supplied by Ahmad Nadir, I agree he is a delight to deal with and an honest man who stands by his products...

camping
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
That looks great, i just had a look on the website, some great stuff. Would you mind divulging the price after shipping and customs?

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Among several I have the RM parang blade made in Bidor. I mated it to a handle also supplied by Ahmad Nadir, I agree he is a delight to deal with and an honest man who stands by his products...

camping
[/URL][/IMG]

Hi John,
Thank you for putting up the pic of your RM parang , its looks very nice . Have you used it ?

That looks great, i just had a look on the website, some great stuff. Would you mind divulging the price after shipping and customs?

I paid £27 for 2 of them all in , just email Ahmad Nadir and he will get you a price and he takes paypal too.
Hope this helps you.

Cheers Topknot

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Had a play with the parang today. I squared up the shoulder on the blade ready to fit the handle next i drilled out hard wood handle so the tang would fit in, then on to fitting the copper tube.

0044v.jpg

0024lh.jpg

0014ak.jpg

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Looks great that mate looking forward to what you are going to handle it with.
also love your sig mate, never a true work spoken.
take care.
lee.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
If you look at my RM parang you will see I have put a pin through to stop the blade coming out (just above the copper tube). However this is belt and braces as I set the blade in with J P Weld. Of note I had to use an Irwin locksmith hard plate drill to drill through the tang as it is very hard metal.

As for use, 10th Wonder made to order hammock and tarp at the ready, the week after next I am away with my daughter, grand children, my friend his wife & children, cooking on wood fires with my selection of knives/axes & parangs for the children to use under supervision, the RM parang will be tested then.

Last edited:

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Yes mate i have not forgotten the pin , i just run out of time last night. looking forward to your test on the parang

Cheers Topknot.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
Well the trip was good we did some tree management at the behest of one of the groundsmen & took down 5 thick Holly trees to open up access to a clearing 6" plus trunks the Parang was brilliant limbing the trunks with ease 45 degree cut straight through 1"-11/4" limbs several strokes for 2" then like a well known Limerick at the 99th stroke the bl***y thing broke. The hand grip burst open the tang had also snapped, picture to follow.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Wow, was the hole in the handle the same shape as the parang tang ?
Only asking because this is how i do mine so its a tight fit, then put the pin through the copper ring.
Thank you for the pic.

Topknot

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
The Tang was a good fit then surrounded with JB Weld so no slop. The tang broke just below the copper band there is a little in what is left of the handle, however the middle bit disappeared with the rest of the handle.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
No photo of grain size the fracture is granular, size similar to silver sand ie quite fine, no signs of rubbing prior to fracture so must have been instant. It did have my 290lbs swinging hard...

Last edited:

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
I have now taken my angle grinder to the tang cutting off the copper band & removing the JB Weld which was firmly attached to the blade & what was left of the wood of the handle. To my surprise and embarrassment the tang has not broken the granular end I could see surrounded by JB Weld was the original finish. In my defence I was pretty p*s**d off and had not looked to closely.

It would appear that the tang is simply too short to be used by an ape like me for heavy work.

I am now wondering if it could be turned into a full tang with a bit of clever welding so as not to de-temper the blade or the converse and re-temper. I am not able to do it in a second floor apartment the parang was a joy to use; I would love to get it up and running & pay for the privilege...

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
John, this is interesting reading on your parang.

This is how far i got with mine, handle cut to shape and dye dark brown.
I do not know about the H/T on the tang , i glued up the copper tube to the handle then glued the tang in place with dry i drill straight through the handle (you can just see the brass pin in the copper tube) with little force.
All i got to do is clean up the handle and seal it.

006cy.jpg

Cheers Topknot

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I like the handle, makes it all look really nice :)

gotta admit though, if I were to buy a parang blade I'd need a longer stick tang as I'd be too scared to use it with a short one..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE