Just another paddle on Ullswater

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I decided to run the gauntlet of weekend day trippers and took myself over to Ullswater again on saturday;
[video=youtube;6NabHW5GFsw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NabHW5GFsw[/video]

Beautiful weather, nice and quiet on arrival and all day on the water but the laybys soon filled up with day trippers of various flavours, some fishing, some picnicking, some actually paddling various craft, from open canoes and kayaks to inflatables and even an sup.

Not a lot to say really, just pottered about, much better than sitting around the house.

I took my two piece pole, mast foot and sail all set for some (comparatively) high speed adventure! and sure enough the wind picked up from time to time. Unfortunately, I'd left my mast mounting bracket at home, so just had to make do!:eek:

Helvellyn and Catstyecam.

Yew Crag, often crawling with budding mountaineers but there was no one clambering about that I could see.

One of the larger ferries, heading south to Glenridding

And the "Western Belle", one of the smaller boats.

All done and ready to go home

:)

cheers

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great weather again for Ullswater, is that twice on the trot now? :)

We were on the other side of Helvellyn looking over at you on Saturday afternoon

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
A point that might be of interest to anyone considering paddling the lake district or anywhere with similar craft tootling about, is the wake from the ferries. I noticed on this trip that in fact, the shorter more tubby ferry chucked out a considerably steeper and more dodgey wake, something that might well catch out the newcomer or unwary.

This was a couple of years ago, in flat calm conditions:
[video=youtube;7433_zhRWNU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7433_zhRWNU[/video]

just be aware;)

Happy paddling

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE