Jules Verne

Just a hint:

One of the most original "survival" books is "L'île mystérieuse" (The Mysterious Island) (1874-75) by French writer Jules Verne, in which a group of Americans falls from the sky on an uninhabited island with hardly a match in their pockets. A few years later, they have mastered shipbuilding, iron melting and smithing, agriculture.. They produce felt and mine for ore with help of home made nitroglycerine etc etc.

There's an English translation on line: http://jv.gilead.org.il/kravitz

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
soup_monger said:
Indeed it is Ketchup, spell an address incorrectly and you never know where your going to end up. :eek:

True ... :rolleyes:
I randomly typed the URL (the www. adress) of Blacks (the outdoorshop) once, didn't used the ".co.uk" extention though (I was an internet novice in those days) ... and ended up on something completely different :yikes: :rolleyes: Mind you, it was "nature" related ... :cool: :rolleyes:

Nowadays I just Google for a website :D

soup_monger said:
Indeed it is Ketchup, spell an address incorrectly and you never know where your going to end up. :eek:
I't s not that simple, I copied an pasted exactly what showed on top of my screen (internet explorer) for that site.

Anyway. Hope you enjoy the book, it seems to be all there. I read it 30 years ago (in French).

soup_monger

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 30, 2005
EDINBURGH AND PERTH
Your right Ketchup,there was something funny going on with the address.
Thanks for the links though, I had a browse of the chapters and it looks like a good read.
I'll check it out at a later date.
Cheers.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Not meaning to take this off topic but ......

There was a piece in the paper about Vinnie Jones starring as a pirate in something called 'The Mysterious Island' being shown somewhere soon

Could it be the same thing or one of those 'based on' that show no relation to the original (ahhh, Last of the Mohicans :( )?

Wish either they'd written more or I'd read it properly :banghead:

Ok, back to Jules Verne and ...... books!! Yay

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE