Jets (pilot holes) on trangia burner

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi, i was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. The burner that came with the swedish army cooker has 23 jets one less than the civvy one (24 jets).
The army one has smaller size jets than the civvy one ?
I put the same measure of meths in each one , when lit the civvy one burned fiercer.
I was wondering if there is a reason for this.?
I thought i might drill the jets in my army one to the same size as the civvy one.
Topknot.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
The swedish army trangia is heavier and takes longer to get going than a civi type, but is bigger so lasts longer. I find the army type works fine as it is, it may be worth pricking the holes to make sure they are clean. I have made some pop can stoves and it takes some experimentation to get the size and number of holes right, I guess the swedish army stove will be the most efficient it can get for the size etc.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Be carefull on these types of stoves pepsi homemade ones if you need to prime to get going over priming waste fuel in can makes for a short burn time

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
If you take two stoves of the same design, then as a rule less jets = more pressure and bigger flames, more jets = less pressure and smaller flames. But if you are looking at two stoves of different designs, then you have a different fuel volume, a different gas volume and a different thermal mass. There is an optimum for any given stove. This means that what works well on one design, may not necessarily work well on another. Both the SA trangia nd the civvi models have been tried and tested and are at optimum for their relative designs. The SA model is less efficient than the civvi model, due to it's higher thermal mass from it's more robust design. Nothing you can do about that. The army like em big, fat and heavy, but there is a trade off with efficiency. The one less hole is an attempt to balance it out, but the civvi burner is the more efficient of the two from a technical point of view and always will be. Any modification to the jets is likely to make the stove run poorly. Clean the jets through and leave as is. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The swedish army trangia is heavier and takes longer to get going than a civi type, but is bigger so lasts longer. I find the army type works fine as it is, it may be worth pricking the holes to make sure they are clean. I have made some pop can stoves and it takes some experimentation to get the size and number of holes right, I guess the swedish army stove will be the most efficient it can get for the size etc.

Sorry, no, it does not last longer, the Swedish Army meths stove is not a Trangia, while Trangia did provide some of the burners, the company never made the over heavy pots that make up the Swedish set up.

I have to get this off my chest,

The Swedish Army meths cookset is crap.

Burns slow

Its over heavy

I've kept stainless steel and Aluminium sets to just sit there and do nothing with my stove collection, I only use stoves I can rely on feeding me before I reach pension age

Sorry for the rant, but I really do hate the blo*dy things

Richard

PS, don't like crusader mugs much, and really don't like the silly cooker that goes with them

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
And if burn time and weight are not as important to ones needs as reliablity, versitility and robustness would you still have an issue with the stoves?
You can easily use the pots on a fire, the whole thing can be lobbed off a cliff without effect (stop trying so hard on this test Rik - and you are suppost to collect the stove after pitching it over the cliff!) and the burner works great if you use it warm(ie in the tropics or fresh from inside your sleeping bag) or preheat it.
But I agree it is a hefty lump - built to withstand soldiers......

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
, no, it does not last longer, the Swedish Army meths stove is not a Trangia, while Trangia did provide some of the burners, the company never made the over heavy pots that make up the Swedish set up.

I have to get this off my chest,

The Swedish Army meths cookset is crap.

Burns slow

Its over heavy

I've kept stainless steel and Aluminium sets to just sit there and do nothing with my stove collection, I only use stoves I can rely on feeding me before I reach pension age

for the rant, but I really do hate the blo*dy things

Richard

PS, don't like crusader mugs much, and really don't like the silly cooker that goes with them

I like them, even I can't bust them:p

If I wanted quick I would get a jetboil or similar, as long as I can go without when the gas freezes, happened once to me when I needed it! As already said the best thing about the whole swedish trangia set up is that it can be used over the fire and is reliable, nothing to go wrong no fiddly jets or valves, put fuel in and light it or drop it on the fire, it works.
I have used multi fuel stoves in the past and they are great, fast easy to get fuel for and fiddly, I don't like gas it freezes and runs out without warning. Swedish Trangia is cheap, reliable, sturdy, adaptable and slow, I am not usually in a rush if I am I don't have time for a brew anyway.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Sorry for the anti SA rant, but as I said, they are just too slow and heavy. They are much slower than the civvie versions, so why not try combining a 2 or 4 pint pint with something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Russischer-Be...ryZ76153QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Russian clone of the Optimus 8 and they are small, and controllable and work even in freezing temperatures

These are cheap enough and you can use them over an open fire

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nestling-set-...ryZ16036QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

All I'm say lads and lasses is that the world of stoves does not stop with the SA meths setup, and while its got a seemingly immense following on this site, look at other alternatives.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
While we're feeling confessional / ranty, can I just stick my oar in and say I don't like trangias? ;) :D

Now, where did I put those asbestos undies?

However, I really do like the crusader, and it's silly little cooker (suitably accessorised), so I'm afraid I'll have to see you in the carpark after school Rik.

:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE