Is this a scam?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
It probably isn't a scam, rather it's their way of ramping up their products in Amazon's listings as on the face of it it looks like genuine purchases by customers.

I imagine if you go through with it, they may press heavily for an Amazon review from you, even if it's just a product rating. Again, it pushes their products higher up the listings.

Reactions: Nice65 and rowen

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There are a few 'order' scams going around. They rely on them having access of some sort to your purchase account. You order a product but you get one worth a lot more money (instead or as well as the item ordered). They contact you to ask if you are happy, you say no, you don't want the expensive product. They apologise, and say they will send a return label. The return label is for a totally innocent third party. You return it, they collect it, you still have to pay and they gain the item. This has been going around for a couple of years using expensive i-Phones from people like Vodafone.

Not saying this is one, but I would treat it with caution. The grammar mistakes in the post raise alarms to me.

If you take the next step and they ask for any Amazon account details, walk away.

Reactions: rowen

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Sofirn have accounts on various flashlight forums, like BLF, if you want to confirm it.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Agreed. If you suspect a scam contact the apparent supplier via a method/number that isn’t supplied by the suspect message.

If someone is returning your money, are they asking for account details that they should already have?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It’s not a scam, I get a few of those and take them up on it. You can get some good stuff for free. It’s a bit of a faff, you need to send them a screenshot of your review once it’s visible on Amazon, but they’ll refund to your PayPal.

Generally you have to be very specific with the search terms, they will tell you what to type, and to screenshot the search. The review doesn’t have to be favourable, or detailed and long, just anything.

Best thing I’ve got, not from Sofirn, is a 4G enabled trail cam. What a game changer not having to go and check the thing manually. I used it in the loft to keep an eye on a rat trap, much better than having to climb up every day.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I can't actually find that H25LR product on Amazon. I'd be really interested if it's a delisted page they send you a link to? That way maybe they're generating sales for it before it's made public, thereby appearing to make loads of sales the very instant it's made public (when actually those sales have been completed well in advance).

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I can't actually find that H25LR product on Amazon. I'd be really interested if it's a delisted page they send you a link to? That way maybe they're generating sales for it before it's made public, thereby appearing to make loads of sales the very instant it's made public (when actually those sales have been completed well in advance).
I’m not too sure of how the system is ‘massaged’, but the H25LR has been out for a while, 2022. TacticalGrizzly is one of the better reviewers, along the lines of Selfbuilt. It’s not an underhand thing that’s going on, it’s just marketing and business. He links to Amazon and says he got a freebie for a review. It’s how it works.

But not finding it on Amazon is odd. Their store is Outdoor77, I’ll look a bit further at it because Google should be firing links to it right in my face and it isn’t.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
H25LR is pretty old budget model, probably trying to move old stock?
Yeah, there’s a massive BLF thread on what do people want to see in the next Sofirn headlight. The Amazon stores scatter the crumbs of old stock, its favourable for Amazon, Sofirn, and the customer.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
But not finding it on Amazon is odd. Their store is Outdoor77, I’ll look a bit further at it because Google should be firing links to it right in my face and it isn’t.
Looks like the H25LR is advertised in China (Ali Express) and that's sold as the D25LR on Amazon US and DE (presumably elsewhere in Europe too). There doesn't seem to be a UK version though.

Or is the D a newer version? Some of the adverts use the model names interchangeably!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Think they are the same.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE