Is there a Taxi Service near Glenfinnan?

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Is there a Taxi Service near Glenfinnan?

Loch Shiel is currently top of the list for next spring's canoe trip, but after last years debacle at Loch Awe I want to get the trip back to the car sorted before I go.

Cheers, Michael.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
There was an infrequent bus from the bottom end of Loch Shiel to Fort William which passes Glenfinnan during late summer 2009. I have not used it myself so can't help with the timetable.
Alan

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
During the summer months these people run cruised up and down Loch Sheil. You could use them for the return trip if that is what you are looking for. Failing that Shiel buses operate locally. They may also do taxis.:)

www.highlandcruises.co.uk

Last edited:

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Don't forget that if you're at Glenfinnan, to try the dining car cafe at the railway station, you could even stay in the sleeper if you want. We went there a couple of times in the summer after arriving, the first time, just as freshly baked scones were coming out of the oven - superb!!

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I'm not sure which end of the loch I'll be starting from yet, it all depends on the wind direction. After battling headwinds on my last two trips north of the border, I'd like to experience Scotland with the wind on my back.

The plan, if we start at Glenfinnan, is to drop the boats and kit there while I drive to Acharacle, leave the car and get a taxi back.
If the wind's from the SW though, I'll drop the canoes and gear off at Archaracle, take the car to Glenfinnan and taxi it back to Archaracle.

This way, the taxi journey and the waiting around is done at the start, when you're in a better mood to cope with it.

I've just found the current bus timetable. Here it is in case it's of use to anyone:

http://www.shielbuses.co.uk/table3.htm

Cheers, Michael.

Last edited:

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
If you time it right you could get a boat back from Acharacle to Glenfinnan. The boat is based at Glenfinnan and makes trip up and down the loch most days in summer. Could be cheaper than a taxi, I fancy.Check the website.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE