Iron pyrite again

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
SHMBO has come home with a lump of pyrite, a bit bigger than the piece I last found.
This one weighs in at 531 grams.
So what do you think of it, I have never tried using it to light a fire before, might give it a go with a smaller bit.
pyritelump001.jpg

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
What with my pulled calf muscle, I'm not lugging anything heavy, going light I am, excuse the pun.
Getting a bit chocks with the stuff now.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I am on the hunt for a nice big lump of this stuff.

If you/she finds another big lump I'd gladly pay postage + a bit for your trouble.

I managed to get a fire going once using my last piece with flint and amadou and I felt like a proper caveman!

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
I believe so, South downs is what she said.

Interesting, any chance she could narrow it down a bit? Im up there 3-4 times a week cycling (if you see something resembling a badger with tourettes and a jackson pollack style spattering of mud, thats me).

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've found it on beaches around Littlehampton and Elmer Sands in the form you have. The lump you have looks like the typical stuff, but it's a weak metal (like ferro rods) and is broken down easily.

My favourite piece, now sadly lost, really did look like gold. It was very crystalline in structure and bright silver/gold. I have also found Ammonites in Dorset made of it. Here's a Wiki link for more info;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrite

Last edited:

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Interesting, any chance she could narrow it down a bit? Im up there 3-4 times a week cycling (if you see something resembling a badger with tourettes and a jackson pollack style spattering of mud, thats me).
Thanks for letting us know what you look like, now I know who to aim at. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE