IPKs

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Not heared of any change, I wouldn't think that there is much to be improved on a sheet of fabric some para-type cord and some metal pegs to be honest.

After all it is just for a cover over a hole in the ground to protect against fallout.;)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I would imagine Normal issue DPM Tarps are used when IPK are not available.

IPK sheets (unless you're careful) seem to be a single use item (which is it's original intent).

I guess one made of the old 58" Poncho material would be stronger.

Not heared of any change, I wouldn't think that there is much to be improved on a sheet of fabric some para-type cord and some metal pegs to be honest.

After all it is just for a cover over a hole in the ground to protect against fallout.;)

Well it makes you wonder. I like to adapt cheap ex military gear for my own uses. In Gulf 1 and 2 they weren't used I believe. From what I understand the their function is to provide overhead protection for a fighting trench as well as CBRN protection.

Now the German's had an amazing system made up of a metal frame that was covered in tarpaulin and had an airlock and two hatches which was buriod in the ground. The ultimate in stealth hideouts...which is a heck of a lot better than some string and pegs and a wee green sheet! I've got a link for it here.

http://www.militaerbestaende.de/Zel...A-Faltbunkersystem-ZU-85-neuwertig::1441.html

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:eek: woah, just looked at the Greman site....I guess they'd dig-in days or weeks beforehand, but that's pretty serious kit! not very portable though.

:eek: woah, just looked at the Greman site....I guess they'd dig-in days or weeks beforehand, but that's pretty serious kit! not very portable though.

The UK in the 80's had a man portable version made up of lightweight frame hoops and nbc material that could be as big or as small as you liked.

I quite fancy the German one in the back garden for the hell of it...who needs a shed when you can have that cheaply! pmsl

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
We also have a shelter making kit, mexe shelter. It's cold war era and was made from steel poles and arches that were erected in a large pit. Special revetting fabric was tied in place and the structure backfilled with the earth and cammed up with the turfs. It would have been a large task, probably Troop strength if memory serves correctly. They were used as hospitals and command posts. Not much call for them nowadays, trench warfare and standing static for a few months isn't the way wars are fought any more.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Mexe shelter loads of digging and filling ...did one on ex-lionheart in the day .
As far as I know IPK were stopped being used for training after some junior soldiers died during a collapse...long time ago may be using them again nowadays .
Twodogs

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Well it makes you wonder. I like to adapt cheap ex military gear for my own uses. In Gulf 1 and 2 they weren't used I believe. From what I understand the their function is to provide overhead protection for a fighting trench as well as CBRN protection.

Now the German's had an amazing system made up of a metal frame that was covered in tarpaulin and had an airlock and two hatches which was buriod in the ground. The ultimate in stealth hideouts...which is a heck of a lot better than some string and pegs and a wee green sheet! I've got a link for it here.

http://www.militaerbestaende.de/Zel...A-Faltbunkersystem-ZU-85-neuwertig::1441.html

Nice price to go with the German one as well, 350 euro is only 100 times the price of the UK IPK.

I would hazard a guess that the IPK aren't a lot of good in desert/sand conditions as they were most likely designed for European type climates and conditions.

The IPK was also withdrawn for a few years on Health and Safety grounds after it wasn't used as it should be and a few squaddies were injured.

It was to the best of my knowledge a use once and abandon item, that is why it was so cheap and basic to produce.:)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
The IPK was also withdrawn for a few years on Health and Safety grounds after it wasn't used as it should be and a few squaddies were injured.

As far as I know IPK were stopped being used for training after some junior soldiers died during a collapse...long time ago

There'll always be a numpty!
Was it when they did the 4 tonner over the top test?:rolleyes:

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
If you want to modify IPK, get two and stick opposing strips of velcro down one edge of both of them with a flexible adhesive. this means you can use them independantly or together. using an eyelet kit will add, well, eyelets to enhance flexibility.;)

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
IPK was designed as a cover to put 45 cms of earth on top in an emergency. It is still taught and I haven't heard of it being withdrawn will put some feeders out to try and find out.

As for use in the Gulf wars, there is an earth hardness test with a cone penetration device, depending on the result lets you know what shelters can be built, or just use the heel of a boot. If the ground is too soft then above ground shelters, like sandbag bunkers would be used. If it was firmer then trenches okay, too hard then errrr . To prevent collapse in use or under bombardment the basic trench is reinforced. The trench sides can be shored with sheets of corrugated iron which are held in place with iron pickets that are held in place with wire pegged out. The roof is then made using more sheets of corrugated iron held on more iron pickets. Alternatively corrugated sheets with a curve at one end can be used and a roof made with that.

If you have these stores and better still the plant operators to put it in bonus, IPK not necessary. If none of the above and you expected someone to start shelling you in a bit then entrenching tool and magic nylon to the rescue. But the idea is that in modern war you are either mobile or Hesco bastion, sand filled cubes would be made into above ground shelters.

Will check up on IPK though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE