Info on how to make Amadou

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi, I got me a bit of horse hoof fungus and cut it into slices ,as photo

dadsphone0053.jpg

Then a mate and i boiled some of the slices we cut with ash from the fire ,but it still dark brown and not like suede.
So from this photo , how do i get it to look like this photo?

500amadou10grams.jpg

All help will be good.
Cheers Topknot

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...horse hoof fungus has been driving me nuts ever since seeing mears bang on about it all the while....doesnt seem to be any near me and despite all my travels ive never found any as far as i know...i've read that it grows mainly in northern uk so maybe thats the key....gotta admit i didnt know it needed boiling with ash and mears didnt do that either...

i think i'll stick to my charcloth lol...though i did manage to get a fire going with part of the fungus that is pictured in 'my area' in the photo section...fungi are probably my weakest area despite trying to find time to learn...and they make me nervous too! i've photographed loads and i'll get them on here asap and hopefully y'all can educate me!

good luck with the trials....!

s

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The best I've ever achieved is to completely ignore the boiling stage....

Once you get it sliced, damp with a little water, smear in a pinch of fire ash and gently squeeze and stretch between your finger-tips - repeat until as thin and as large as you want - a soothing fire-side activity for around the evening fire. The only other step is to let it dry for a day or two.

In use it can be torn into pieces or scraped into a fluff prior to have a spark delivered.

HTH

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE