In the wood with children

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
A four hour walk through the Odenwald

03.jpg

with this as a highlight:

03-1.jpg

03-3.jpg

03-2.jpg

03-4.jpg

03-5.jpg

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
Nice pic’s m8. They look like good responsible kids.
Enjoy there youth, they grow way to quickly (I know I sound like an old man).
Chris

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
The children were "on loan".
The bigger is the son of my oldest friend and a bit of a bookworm. The other is the son of my girlfriend and equally not used to doing things like this.
Both got their "hatchet-training" from me, as well as a children´s knife at the age of five.
A couple of weks ago, we walked in the wood in the afternoon and made a small fire and roasted sausages. At night, the fire was peed out and we walked back for an hour through the pitch-dark forest. They enjoyed this and are eager to have a "Männertag" ( meaning a day with any women) again soon.
Next spring, I want them to spend the night in the forest but without a tent. This will need some effort from my side to convince them, but will come.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Top pics. Its great to see kids being trusted and taught to take on responsibility....and having fun when doing it. My kids (who are not much older) light fires, own knives and use my hand axe. They have repect for matches, can cook independently and most importantly look after each other. I cant help but think that all those do-gooders would have kittens if they saw this going on.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
What is the saw that is being used? It looks like it folds into a handguard rather than the handle, so you don't catch your fingers?
You got any details and a better picture please, most accidents(nicks really) I have had and seen are caused by my saw rather than knives!

I'd agree that it is important for children to have both responsibilty and trust at a young age. It is scary to have them around sharp stuff, and it's a lot of work, and requires lots of vigilance, too. Nevertheless, things have worked out well for my kids and grand-kids - and hopefully soon, my great grand-daughter.
The problem these days is that parents often want to avoid what they perceive as unnecessary danger with younger kids. In my opinion, they are really avoiding the work and vigilance needed. And so we have teenagers who have never learned about danger or responsibility taking control of a car. Often that's the first dangerous metal object they've had control over - and so things can go very badly.
Things don't always go well in life, and if a parent wants to be able to talk to their kids who have become adults, then they sure better have put in the gruelling parent work in the past. Now I do look back and see immense amounts of fun and good times, but it was a job which I luckily took very seriously.

No Mannertags here, though, too many grand-daughters...

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
OldJimbo said:
Things don't always go well in life, and if a parent wants to be able to talk to their kids who have become adults, then they sure better have put in the gruelling parent work in the past. Now I do look back and see immense amounts of fun and good times, but it was a job which I luckily took very seriously.

TOP NOTCH TIP

One of the problems these days is when you have baby the first thing you are scared witless by utterly terrifying 'advice' which makes the simple act of sleeping sound lethal, and camping out with a baby impossible. This 'advise' then becomes if you leave a child alone they will burn down the house or such.

After a short while though you realise that OLD JIMBO IS RIGHT! and that not having constructive relationship with kids is what leads a child to danger. I have always been amazed how babies react near fire and shocked that people I know will leave a young child at granma's rather than take them camping. Teaching a child to handle the big things in life is what adults are suppose to do.

I really like this website all the parents/other adults on it, think like me :D

Yep parenting is tough! Now I've gotten my fair share of criticism for introducing kids and grand-kids to dangerous stuff like cutting tools and guns. My kids are now grown up and as electicians dealing with potentially lethal stuff as a matter of daily work. Obviously now I feel good about bringing them up to be responsible!

I must admit that when I got into parenting, that I believed that kids grew up and went away to get on with their own lives. I really believed that! Now of course I know that it's a life long project. Well it has been for me, since one of my grand-kids lived with me for quite a while. I may be already retired when the next ones come!

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
Goose.
I picked up the saw at a discounter for €6,- or so, dont know which one, it was a real bargain.
It was bought for the kids to use, since I wouldnt like to give them my fragile and expensive japanese saws to train with. The GB-hatchet is okay, though :) . This cheapo works very good, its performance really surprised me.
In the end I sawed the tree in half and it was much quicker to do than with a hatchet, because the children had much more problems in using a saw than a hatchet. The smooth, straight and pressureless movement being much more difficult to achieve.

Here are some pics:

06.jpg

06-1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE