ID please he's a fun guy

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Please can someone id this

100_0378.jpg

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Please can someone id this

I found a few last year just like that and was told that it was most likely
Ganoderma applanatum or Artist’s conk. My were very old and somewhat tough, black as tar on the top and un-even.
I processed it, as you would true-tinder fungus (stripped the Amadou out in small bits as it was tough, boiled it in wood ash solution for a couple of hours. Left it to soak over night and then beat it flat until soft, and dry )
It will with a bit of fluffing up take a spark from a flint and steel, but I use it as a very effective coal extender, a piece an inch long and half an inch wide once lit, will stay alight for 15+ minutes.

xylaria

I found a few last year just like that and was told that it was most likely
Ganoderma applanatum or Artist’s conk. My were very old and somewhat tough, black as tar on the top and un-even.
I processed it, as you would true-tinder fungus (stripped the Amadou out in small bits as it was tough, boiled it in wood ash solution for a couple of hours. Left it to soak over night and then beat it flat until soft, and dry )
It will with a bit of fluffing up take a spark from a flint and steel, but I use it as a very effective coal extender, a piece an inch long and half an inch wide once lit, will stay alight for 15+ minutes.

I would say it was a ganoderma too. It can be lit straight off the tree in very dry weather, but otherwise it needs to be dried out for week first.

The tree it growing on is likely to be hollow. There should be others in vincinity as well. It can have quite effect on areas woodland, killing trees from the inside and making them very unstable. I avoid walking in effected areas in high winds, and we don't camp near effected trees.

The specium in piccy looks like it will have resident beetles and insects living in it. There is a small brown shiny beetle that is only found living in ganodermas, and these are quite rare. If the fungus is harvested and then exposed to cool smoke these beetles escape, you should bare this mind. As I have siad there is likely to other speciums in the area, which may be younger and have less life living them. The younger fruitbodies will have a white underside and brown dust (spores) on the top.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
anything like these?
DSC00227.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

found these last weekend whilst out for a walk, the one thats split was already off the stump. seemed interesting, no idea what they are mind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE