I will not be posting much next month

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Due to circumstances beyond my control (but mainly good) I will not have access to a computer for most of June. I am not leaving you - merely taking a break - and will be back on-line towards the end of the month.
If you are looking to buy anything from me please be patient - I will be back! :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am back!
Most of my time away was my holiday to Orkney - visited a couple of digs and saw bronze age artifacts arise from the ground ... seen for the first time in thousands of years... did a lot of bird watching (saw the Sea Eagles as well as lesser birds) and generally chilled. It did me good as I heard just before I went that my(more or less estranged)sister had died and I needed some head space to process this.
The last few days of my time away were spent visiting my aged aunt in the outskirts of Blackpool - and even there we saw a Sparrow Hawk and a fox from her garden!
Now I have one day to prepare to go back to work - running a Bushcraft and Leathercraft - then I have a weekend in the woods booked!
Well they do say that you need a holiday after a holiday :)

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Welcome back John, I really need to get my bottom up to Orkney

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Of course, I could not do much in the way of Bushcraft on islands that have about 3 trees between them but a little driftwood became the material for some carving ...
I was looking for a fusion of Celtic, Pictish and Neoolithic styles... the darker figure was carved from wood found on Westray where the "Westray Wife" was found ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westray_Wife ). The Festival of St Magnus is on at the moment as well and I think that had some influence...
P6130058.jpg
The carving was done while the wood was still wet and as it dries the tool marks actually get more prominent!
DSCI0008.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Hello again john, condolences on the loss of your sister.

By coincidence I too saw a grey bird with yellow legs take a dickie bird, it didn't know what to do really, it jumped up and down on it a few times and waited for a few minutes. I do not think mature birds take so long and parade themselves, wondered whether it was the sparrow hawk or a flegling peregrine? There must be a lot of fleglings around this time of year. Very envious of your sea eagle viewing, I must go there one day, sea eagles white tipped and golden are not something I have ever seen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE