I need an old file grinding and treating....?

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
I have had this old file of my dads for many years and always wanted to make a knife out of it but never got round to it.My dad has dementia/alzheimers and know ill never have the dad again that I once had.I really want to get this done but need some help.

The first picture shows the file and the second picture is what design I have in my thoughts,2 different blade shapes but I thinking I prefer the one marked in red rather than the one marked in black (Im open for advice on my thoughts).Tang wise im limited due to the files handle shape so ive just shaped it accordingly. The top edge of the file is 5mm tapering down to the bottom edge of 2mm.I can cut the shape but I need it heat treating,tempering,holes for fixing the handle and then grinding the blade for me(again im open to advice on the grind).

So is there anyone who could do the stuff on it that I cant do?? please send me a pm to discuss the necessary.
thanks.

Last edited:

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Bump for help....... I would pay for this job doing!im not expecting anything for free here.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Doing the heat treatment yourself will be so much more satisfying than sending it away - especially if the donor item has sentimental value - and it relatively easy to do. Next time you have a fire - heat the metal until it glows bright red and let it sit in the ashes until morning when it will be cool.

You can then work the file, grinding bevels, drilling holes and making the profile you want (I think the red line looks better as well ;))

When it is the shape you want, have another fire - heat the blade until it is glowing red again (you can use a magnet to check for when the steel is at the right temperature - when it no longer sticks, its ready) and quench it in oil.

The blade will than be as hard as glass but also brittle, so clean it up a bit until you have bare steel and heat it gently again - watch for the colors running through the steel - when it gets a yellowy-straw colour, stop and let it cool.

That's all there is to it - I've done it several times in my coal fired Rayburn in the kitchen - though I would hesitate to offer it as a service, it's just not controllable enough.

Good luck

Ogri the trog

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Doing the heat treatment yourself will be so much more satisfying than sending it away - especially if the donor item has sentimental value - and it relatively easy to do. Next time you have a fire - heat the metal until it glows bright red and let it sit in the ashes until morning when it will be cool.

You can then work the file, grinding bevels, drilling holes and making the profile you want (I think the red line looks better as well ;))

When it is the shape you want, have another fire - heat the blade until it is glowing red again (you can use a magnet to check for when the steel is at the right temperature - when it no longer sticks, its ready) and quench it in oil.

The blade will than be as hard as glass but also brittle, so clean it up a bit until you have bare steel and heat it gently again - watch for the colors running through the steel - when it gets a yellowy-straw colour, stop and let it cool.

That's all there is to it - I've done it several times in my coal fired Rayburn in the kitchen - though I would hesitate to offer it as a service, it's just not controllable enough.

Good luck

Ogri the trog

Appreciate the 'how to' mate,step by step it sounds like this is well within my capability! And it would feel good to do the start to finish job myself as it was my dads and does have sentimental value.
Im thinking I could get some coal and fire up the barbecue to get heat:)

Thanks again mate I now have the knowledge:You_Rock_

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
No need for coal, ordinary barbeque charcoal, will suffice!

Ogri the trog

Yes, this...plus if you need to make it really hot.just add some tubing to the end of a £2 carboot hairdryer, run it on cold and direct extra air into the coals, you will soon get 800 degrees ( the magical non magnetic temperature) like that.....

Helpful hint.... an old speaker with a magnet is very useful for testing the magneticity ( izzat even a wurd?) of metal..again, 50p carboot.

This guy....is AWESOME....Greenpete...4 videos, well worth a watch!
https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?...=UTF-8&fr=chr-greentree_ff&ilc=12&type=937811

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Yes, this...plus if you need to make it really hot.just add some tubing to the end of a £2 carboot hairdryer, run it on cold and direct extra air into the coals, you will soon get 800 degrees ( the magical non magnetic temperature) like that.....

Helpful hint....

This guy....is AWESOME....Greenpete...4 videos, well worth a watch!
https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?...=UTF-8&fr=chr-greentree_ff&ilc=12&type=937811

Greenpete, Peter Green is a member here - he taught me everything that I know!

Cheers DB, I had lost all trace of those videos - very informative.

Ogri the trog

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
The couple of small knives I have made so far I used a map gas torch. It's a tad hard to get an even heat before quenching this way but tempering is very easy. The BBQ fire may be best for getting the metal red hot though?

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
Greenpete, Peter Green is a member here - he taught me everything that I know!

Cheers DB, I had lost all trace of those videos - very informative.

Ogri the trog

I love em, i quite often watch them, peter has a nice easygoing presentation style.....no um er. well.just well thought out words, and he shows what can be done with pretty much very little gear.. Glad to hear he is a member here! goodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE