I love my army trangia !!!

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Hello everyone,

I am new to the board so I thought I would say hi. I have just got back into camping after many years away from it. I can tell you alot has changed in 15 years. I am been reading posts and getting an idea of what kit is about these days, and I am really impressed. I am slowly getting what I need, so I will probably have alot of questions.

I just got an swedish army trangia from ebay. After seeing a few good reviews I thought it would be ideal for my needs. I got it yesterday and took it to my lab at work to test it. It works great, I boiled 2 mugs of water in about 4 min, which I thought was great. It will take longer outside but still I was impressed. I think I might find some bacon to cook for my lunch, hehe.

I would recomend them to anyone.

Pete

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I agree Pete, it's a great piece of kit.

I'm lucky enough to also have the folding cup and plastic kuksa that fit inside the kit. Add a spoon (self carved of course :D ) and that's it - everything needed to cook with (well except the food :lmao: )

moduser

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Pete,

Drop Bumblebee a PM, he's was great for the kuksa. The folding cups can be got from various surplus shops or even evilbay for less than £2 each.

Moduser

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
The plastic ones look like this

showphoto.php

DISCO

Aug 18, 2004
SCOTLAND
Hi Pete if the plastic folding cup you are looking for is like the swedish army one you can get them from Adventure one just up from Queen Street station.Welcome to the forum. :)

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
DISCO said:
Hi Pete if the plastic folding cup you are looking for is like the swedish army one you can get them from Adventure one just up from Queen Street station.Welcome to the forum. :)

being a Glasgow boy, I may just pay them a visit, do they have a website?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Going back to the military Trangia, it is indeed great kit. The weight is a bit high (about 1kg with fuel) and the plastic fuel bottle may leak after prolonged use. However, it works extremely well over an open fire so it is very good for the wild places where meths resupply is an issue.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Scuba Pete said:
Hello everyone,

I am new to the board so I thought I would say hi. I have just got back into camping after many years away from it. I can tell you alot has changed in 15 years. I am been reading posts and getting an idea of what kit is about these days, and I am really impressed. I am slowly getting what I need, so I will probably have alot of questions.

I just got an swedish army trangia from ebay. After seeing a few good reviews I thought it would be ideal for my needs. I got it yesterday and took it to my lab at work to test it. It works great, I boiled 2 mugs of water in about 4 min, which I thought was great. It will take longer outside but still I was impressed. I think I might find some bacon to cook for my lunch, hehe.

I would recomend them to anyone.

Pete

The mess kit´s design has been around for over 100 years, so not much has changed really. The ones that are sold today was made during WW2 so it´s all old stuff. And the tradistional kuksas are what the sammi used to use as a cup. The design has changed and now they look more like mugs, but the army pplastic ones still keep the classic touch. The plastic ones are also availbe in civilian colours.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Thanks for all the info guys. I will have to check out adventure 1, I have seen there website but never been in.

I am no really bothered about the weight, so its ok(Ask me that laters, heh). I really liked the fact I could use it on an open fire.

I have heard trangia's own safety bottles are very good and don't leak. I think I will invest in one. Would the 0.5l bottle be ok for a weekend? Or should I buy the bigger one? The last time I used a trangia to cook was my scout days, and that was a long time ago. I still remeber frying my fryup in the morning.

Another thing I was going to ask what simmering with the trangia. Can you use the simmer ring from a civi trangia? Does it work ok? Where can I get it?

Thanks guys

Pete

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
Scuba Pete said:
I have heard trangia's own safety bottles are very good and don't leak. I think I will invest in one. Would the 0.5l bottle be ok for a weekend?

Another thing I was going to ask what simmering with the trangia. Can you use the simmer ring from a civi trangia? Does it work ok? Where can I get it?

Trangia fuel bottles are indeed excellent! 0,5L would be fine for a weekend if you fill the burner beforehand.

Sorry, the civilian Trangia simmering ring doesn't fit the army burner. Make your own or buy a new complete burner.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Thanks.

Anyone know a good way to make one? Or can I just lay a small heat proof mat over half the burner?

All I need to do know is carve a spoon and I am set, heh

Pete

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Another Swedish army Trangia convert here, they really are great for cooking on a fire but if you need a lightweight option its simple to make a westwind type stand for the burner and then use a MSR type foil windshield, weight is almost nothing depending what billy/kettle you use, its also more efficient than the standard setup again depending what pots you use and its a damn site cheaper than a clickstand, I posted this before but heres a pic for all the new folks

westy.jpg

I made this one in stainlesbut brass or aluminium would be fine

Two great cookers for under a tenner!!!!!

I built it with clearance underneath for a nightlight for fast pre heating if required. I think theres a template online somewhere, MBM where did you put it?

If Im not going light I take the standard set plus a spare burner plus the diy stand so that I can use two at once one for brew one for cooking or whatever.

Scuba Pete, your simmer ring can be as simple as you like, a half moon disk of metal will do, or cut out a sheet steel ring with 4 tabs to fit the burner and rivet a disc on top to mimic the trangia simmer rings.

Reactions: leon-1

Dennis Mapletoft

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2005
MELTON MOWBRAY / Leics
I have one of these Swedish Trangias and used it for several years, but i always had the smell of meths in my bag, then i followed a link to a place that showed me how to make a " kiwi cooker ", i made one and used it in the trangia instead of the meths burner, it wasnt hot enough, so i found a bigger tin, tried again, its great, the tins the same size as the old burner, with a sealing lid, i have tried diferent waxes (citronela etc) but plain candle wax seems the best, i have used the same tin for 2 long weekends so far with out any trouble, i am waitnig to see how long it lasts before needing a wax re-fill, best thing is i dont smell of meths all the time, and my pack is lighter too ( no spare fuel etc).. Yours Den :)

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Ooh, I will have to look into that. I used a trangia as a small boy and never minded the smell of meths. I am a chemist, so used to the smell of most solvents, thou I don't think thats such a good thing, lol.

I will see how it goes. I am told that the tragina bottle with the safety valve are really good and they dont leak, I guess I will find out when I try it in the field. I always prefered to cook over an open fire, so I will be doing that where possible.

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE