I had a interview for Bear Grylls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Sorry to hear you didn't make it thru this time mate. Although it does sound very much like something I remember seeing on tv back in the late '80s / early '90s. I think it was on C4 or C5 and was hosted by some personality from the world of tv. The contestants, all regular people from all walks of life and with no experience beyond maybe the odd camping trip as a kid, were being trained by some ex SAS fella. They were taken off to some island off the coast of Wales (I believe) and had to survive for "X" amount of time. I seem to recall they were allowed to take 1 simple item of gear with them, like a knife or something similar. I remember watching one episode (it was a 1/2 hour weekly thing) where a couple of the people were trying to set snares for rabbits. As the camera man filmed them setting these snares, a whole herd of deer ran along behind them. I distinctly remember that bit as my ex wife was griping about the poor bunnies possibly getting snared and I barked back at her that if they had a 1/2 ounce of sense, they would ensure that one of those deer met with a "terrible accident" ;) I did learn something from it though.
Most of the people ended up eating mushrooms. LOADS of them as they couldn't find anything else to eat and their snares weren't catching them any food (much to the delight of my ex). The mushrooms gave them a dose of the squits and I remember the ex SAS fella saying on a voice over that the people suffering with it should powderise and eat some charcoal from their fire, as this would "bind them up inside". He then pointed out that had they of been constipated, he would have recommended eating loads of mushrooms and / or the seaweed they had been taught that they could eat. Funny how even the best ideas can be ruined by tv personalities. Who knows, perhaps this was the start of such drivel as "I'm a celebrity..." What a pile of crud, lol. No wonder I stopped watched TV just over 8 years ago!

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Yeah, it's basically a survival situation specifically designed and edited for entertainment purposes..

As i explained to the Producer, if i wanted to go on a island for a month to test myself i have hundreds to choose from right here off the coast of the UK. I just liked the thought of a free Holiday for 5 weeks and observing others in a semi survival situation, I'm a bit of a Voyeur :lol:...oh, and they said there would be Wimminz. ;-)

I wonder if they will have 12 men on one Island and 12 Women on another this time around. Should be a interesting situation anyway.

Last edited:

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Wimminz?!?!?!?

Would be seriously handy for cooking food and cleaning up the so called dishes. But after 5 weeks, they would be terrible for giving a fella earache ;)

An online "mate" of mine did something like this in USA. Naked and afraid! Dunno whether it aired over here or not, but I believe it was made by the Discovery Channel. I really don't think he had as much to worry about a some of the others who went into the wild for 21 days without so much as a stitch of clothing to cover himself with! He is one talented fella though. Makes bows and arrows from the materials he finds as well as having flint napping as a "hobby" . I bought this flint knife from him a while back and it now graces the wooden unit which my tv (only sees dvds on its screen) stands on.

Lets see if I can manage to put a picture on here...

15768728909_994dfebd6f_k.jpg

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Nice bit of Napping there. something i have never tried but would love to have a crack at it. Caught a little bit of the show you are talking about on Letmewatchthis or some other dodgy site. never seen enough to comment. Was he with a Naked Girl? Same show???

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Thanks John. You can bet your bottom dollar that I just had to find out if it was sharp or not, when it arrived ;)
Those little serrations aren't decoration! They slice their way into meat something fierce. They reduced some thick pork belly strips to chunks REALLY easily.

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Thanks mate.

Indeed he was Stevie. They had to find each other in the scrub and meet up, do the intro's etc for the first time, completely starkers! Dunno about you, but I prefer a girl to at least buy me a few drinks before she gets to see me with my kit off, PMSL :D

Edit: Here you go peeps...

[video=youtube;p9wmEz4J3x8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9wmEz4J3x8&index=2&list=PLtfvMvr1mUkcbfwJ2p1nSSMZ PJZNGQIIo[/video]

Last edited:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I actually looked up guy martin
Wot u mean Stevie u canya understand him

Geez spake beeta dan al da geezas rownd eer
Eer I carn
Hey, i get some of it, but for the most part i need to think about it for a bit before i get it.

I'm not complaining other than it's not just us sweaty socks who need Sub titles sometimes. :lol:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Turns out they had 40,000 application in ONE day !
yeah, they got swamped with wanna be survivalist/mentalists and i include myself in one of those categories...you choose which one..?

I know it's just a show and no-one is going to die, but it's still quite tough. I guess the thought of help being only a phone call and 30 mins away if it all went pear shaped probably took the edge off it as a real survival situation. well, for me it did. Still would have liked to give it a go though.

5 weeks away from the Mental institution that is modern living, what's not to like.

Here's where they were on the last show..The Pearl Islands
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Islands

Hope they chose somewhere different for series 2...Burnt Island?. I could survive there no problem. Ice cream, bucket and spade and a knotted hankie on me head and i'm a happy camper :lol:

Nov 5, 2014
Cheshire
I also ended up going for an audition for it over in Manchester at the Britannia hotel. Quite entertaining really! Got through to the producers with one other from the group of about 30/40 I was with but got no further.....just bought myself 6 1/2 acres of woodland in Wales so I can disappear there instead for a few days at a time!

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I was on Crystal Maze and I'm sure I got on because I thought it was some friends of mine playing a trick so I played the fool. Standing on your head on the coffee table and carrying on a conversation as if nothing was wrong appears to be a successful tactic.

I don't think I'd want to do one of Gryll's island things though, it was clearly edited to present a very specific view and I suspect to accentuate the bad characteristics of one or two of the participants. I've seen the inside of to many television shows and I know just how cynically it is manipulated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE