hunting crooks

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Tomorrow I start a 3 day advanced woodcarving course. On our basic courses we use clean straight grained wood and concentrate on teaching the techniques of using axe and knife safely and efficiently, on the developers courses we get more into design issues and to make the best spoons you need crooks.

This all means I get to spend a day wandering some lovely woods crook hunting.

These woods are on an old millstone grit quarry, the base of the wood was old oak coppice long ago singled out. The waste from the quarry was tipped down the hill and lies amongst the trees.

IMG_9660.jpg

Further up the quarry itself is covered in birch mostly 50 or so years old and prone to windblow. This is what I was looking for, been lying a month or so but still fresh enough.

IMG_9653.jpg

Cutting a crook.

IMG_9655.jpg

here are a few more.

IMG_9656.jpg

Lots of these about.

IMG_9662.jpg

And a few gorgeous old hollow oak stumps.

IMG_9657.jpg

Off to another woodland where I have permission to thin a dense stand of birch for some bigger stuff for kuksas.

IMG_9667.jpg

Then it was back home and sharpen 8 carving axes, 8 knives and 8 hook knives and we are all ready to go.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Well after collecting all those crooks most folk wanted to carve kuksas, we did get some nice spoons, spatulas and kuksas made though.

IMG_9687.jpg

IMG_9680.jpg

Hard at work.

IMG_9670.jpg

IMG_9689.jpg

Plenty of tea and biscuits.

IMG_9669.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great photos. I'd love to sit and learn one day as well :)

Love the top photo - very evocative

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE