How to write an Abstract

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
It's basically just a summary of your essay/thesis/whatever. Like the blurb on the back of a book.

"In this essay I will do this, using these techniques, to show that.."

It's an overview of the work you've done, so should be easy since you technically should've done all the work already (or at least have an idea where you're going with it).

Hope that helps a bit

KenThis

Settler
Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
As already said.
Very much depends on the discipline and the 'work' that needs an abstract.
It's probably best to search for similar work and abstracts to get an idea what's expected.
Should really be written after the work is finished, then detail/summarise the main point from each section in the main work.
For a scientific paper that means summarising an Introduction, Methods, Results & Conclusions etc.
It means that someone should be able to glean all the main facts from the original work without having to read it (to check if they want to read it).
hope that helps.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I go back to the basics:

To write the paper in the first place, properly prepare an outline then fill in said outline with details to expand the work into a readable, understandable paper.

Now for the abstract (In technical writing it's usually called the "executive summary) I go back to the original outline and fill it in/expand it much more briefly.

Here are my $.02:

For non-academic papers (professional conferences, anthologies, magazines, etc...)

- Purpose of the paper
- Why you should read it
- Conclusion

I avoid using "will" as in "this paper will..." It weakens the writing. Instead write, "This paper shows/describes/teaches/etc." Use the active voice (this advice is counter to very academic writing as it exists today).

Good luck!

- Woodsorrel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE