How To Avoid Polluted, Plants, Water, etc.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Strike Team

Aug 6, 2004
Scotland
When Eddie Stone was talking about acquiring water in the BBC "SAS Survival Secrets" TV series, he pointed out that coniferous woods are often sprayed with chemicals, so you should avoid collecting water there. Apart from obvious places like the sides of busy roads, where plants will be contaminated by exhaust fumes, what are the signs to look for, and places to avoid, in collecting food and water?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I think most water sources should be considered a potential hazard, even a sparkling mountain stream could have a dead sheep in it upstream, I always carry my own tap water or filter it from the cleanest looking source. As for plants, I think you have to use common sence. There is a gardening term used for, what to prune, it is D,D,D, Dead, Damaged or Diseased. I think you could use the same term for deciding what plant to pick. Like you say, avoid road sides and also fields where farmers spray, use your nod really................Jon

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Always avoid standing still water were possible. More chance for a build up of pathogens, any water source where the surrounding flora and fauna look unhealthy. Remember that boiling water will kill all organic pathogens but will increase the concentration of toxic chemicals.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE