How should I finish my spreader?

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
I've an offcut from a hazel stick and I tried to carve a butter and jam spreader

Here there is the result
d7zn.jpg

Ok, not a great carving performance, but better than nothing and just nice to see in the morning. I'd like to ask your advice about these questions:

Any suggestions for the oil for finishing it?

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hey hey a bit more enthusiasm there, I love the little thing!
great aesthetics with that part of bark. and as far as a finish, indeed if you can get your hands walnut oil, use that but else linseed oil would also do the trick.
and my best experience is if you soak it in the oil instead of just rub some in.
Yours sincerely Ruud

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Well done!

You will find that as you use it it will develop its own finish but as most have said walnut oil will seal it nicely.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
A zip lock bag and let it soak in the aforementioned walnot oil.

Boiled linseed had some heavy metals!! or something like that so if using linseed make sure it's raw.

Sorry, just noticed you're in Italy so there might not be an Asda there.

All the best.

Brian

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Yes, unfortunately no ASDA here, but I found in a grocery one bottle of organic linseed oil. It is for cooking and vegetables and so I think it will be suitable for the task. I'll try to find out also walnut oil in organic food shops next days. Thank you all for the support and hints

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
The more it's used the more it'll take on that lovely aged look. Any food safe oil is good for finishing. Walnut, Olive, Sunflower etc.. Great work, a classic example of "Keep It Simple"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE