How do you make a Slow Match

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi, I would like to make a Slow Match,And I have looked on the net and found lots of different ways/rescipes,some using Vinigar and some using SALT PETRE,I would like to know how you use the Salt Petre,As I have purchased some already.

I have made loads of slow matches, and I don't use salt petre (as I don't know where to get it) I simply use a piece of plumber's copper tubing (I think it's 1/2 inch) that I crush about a third of the way accross in a vice. This gives me a flat section where I can hold the tubing. I then put some cotton cord or tape (It MUST be 100% cotton) through the now much narrower hole in the copper tube and char the end of the cord. I can now strike sparks onto the charred end and it will glow. To put it out, simply pull the charred cord end back into the copper tube.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
You guys are talking about two different things.

That copper tube with cotton cord in it is a Tinder Tube. The end of the cotton cord chars and acts just like charcloth for catching sparks. Pull/push the charred end out of the copper tube a bit, strike your sparks into it, then gently blow on it to spread it over the whole end of the cotton cord. When you are done lighting your pipe/cigarette/fire, pull the smoldering end back into the copper tube. It will continue to smolder for a bit before going out. That "chars" the end a little more for the next time you want to use it.

Slowmatch (also called matchcord) is the cord used to touch off a matchlock musket. You soak cotton cord in a solution of salt petre (potassium nitrate) and other chemicals. When it dries out, you strike a spark into the end of it. And that cord will then slowly continue to burn/smolder at a rate that can be adjusted by the type/amounts of chemicals used. Un-treated cotton cord will go out by itself. But adding that potassium nitrate adds a little chemically bound oxygen to the smoldering end to help keep it going.

The recipe you found should also talk about mixing the chemicals together. The salt petre is in crystal form, and needs to be dissovled in a liquid to then blend into the whole "bath" to soak your cotton cord in. So I suspect that your recipe calls for dissolving it in that vinegar.

Your slowmatch will burn a little faster or slower - depending upon how much potassium nitrate you mix into the soaking solution. If you use too much, it will then burn FAST and act more like a fuse.

A web search for Matchlock or Matchcord should also lead you to some recipes.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I shoot matchlock.

Slow fuse is simple. Make a saturated solution of the saltpetre (dissolve as much as you can in warm water until some is left in the bottom of the jar). Soak your cord in the solution for a minute or two, just wet it. I use white cotton sash window cord but cotton string will do. Dry out the cord in the sun. Use plenty of water to wash up the jar of solution after use (or put a lid on and keep, it does not go off). Keep the cord dry in a polythene bag until use. Speed depends on the size and burning characteristics of the cord but it is never 'poof' fast, an inch or two a minute. Basically the slower the better. That is why it is called 'slow match'

Your second batch will be better than your first so just try a couple of feet first to get the hang of it. Crystals on the cord surface make it spark which is not a good thing, just brush them off lightly.

Saltpetre (Potassium Nitrate) is used to preserve food e.g. hams, so good quality, cheap supplies are easily available and it is quite safe.

Handling the cord. Punch a hole in the side a shallow tin can, poke the burning end in when you are not using it and keep the burning tip in the can out of harms way. If you don't you WILL burn the surface it is on or set light to things you don't want to. To put it out cut the burning tip off with scissors and just let it burn out.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
It probably won't soak up enough solution to do any good.

You don't have to use sash cord, it is just convenient, frays just right, fits my matchlock and looks the part. Any cord or rope that burns will do, sisal, hemp, nettle, etc. Avoid the synthetics!!

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi,just thought I would let you know that the Cotton String works better than the Sisal String for making a Slow Match,I Plaited 3 strands of the cotton string and then 6 strands,And they both work really well.
Many thanks for your help with this item

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I just found this thread and I was wondering why I'm failing to light the charred end of my slow match?
I made a big batch of matchcord up ,pottassium nitrate, vinnegar and warm water, that works fine but i just cant get it to go up with the strike a lite.
Any suggestions? By the way i'm not a novice with a strike a lite set.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE