How do I get into deer hunting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Deer hunting or stalking?
Stalking is with rifle, hunting with horses and hounds.
If you are talking about stalking then you need to learn to shoot if you don't already. It is possible to buy a stalk with rifle but more commonly you take your own, so this means firearms certificate with suitable rifle and expanding ammo. Suitable rifle depends on your quarry but south of the border would be .243 caliber.
Various places offer days stalking, usually you would be out with a ghillie or professional stalker. You would need a fair bit of experience before you would be allowed out on your own, in fact some constabularies will insist on a period of accomanied rifle use.
Stalking 'qualifications' such as DSC 1 which Burnt Ash refers to are required by some places before you can stalk but not all by any means. Some constabularies insist on it, but this is not strictly speaking on the level. Personally I would make sure I was a member of BASC and challenge such a condition - but I am an awkward bugger!

Stalking ain't cheap!
Before you even set glass to beast, you've the costs of getting a FAC, buying your rifle, buying a scope etc and then you need to find a stalk.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Ask in your local gunshop if they know any stalkers who are willing to take an apprentice. Some take beginners out reguarly.

Or when you do your DSC1 ask there.
Get insurance, the usual way is to become a member of a shooting organisation like BASC, BDS, NGO, GCT or the Countryside Alliance to name a few. All give insurance in thier membership package.

Very few landowners will be willing to let you shoot a high power rifle over thier land without it.

Cheers

Mark

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Just as a follow up, I was exchanging messages on usenet and the guy reckoned you can get stalking for £35 in some places. I'm hoping he will enlighten me as to where these places are - there would be a variation in for a .243 quicksmart!

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Lurch said:
Just as a follow up, I was exchanging messages on usenet and the guy reckoned you can get stalking for £35 in some places. I'm hoping he will enlighten me as to where these places are - there would be a variation in for a .243 quicksmart!
Do tell if he does,
Must get round to doing the level one, if only to find out if I'm a good enough shot!
Cheers
David

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
James,

If I had the time I'd offer to take you out a few times, unfortuantley I don't really have the time to do what I'm doing now let alone taking something else on.

No offence but it wouldn't do either of us any good if I promised and couldn't deliver.

Good luck though.

David, the shooting part isn't that bad, if you're used to shooting a fullbore rifle it shouldn't be a problem. Our instructor said most people fail because of nerves about the test. It was blowing a gale on an open range when I did it - horizontal rain :yikes: not nice... but I still managed to put all my shots into half the target area.
In decent weather conditions you should be able get all the shots into an inch or two.

Cheers

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE