How cranked is too cranked?

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Evening all,

Had a day off work today and given the weather I opted for a day in the workshop.

Was playing around with a spoon blank and decided to experiment with using a saw to put in the crank rather than my usual method with the axe.

I went a little overboard and although I'm happy that I have managed to salvage it the crank is on the extreme size.

Curious if this style has any roots that I'm unaware of or anyone can think of a use for it?

c242e2fa1a581e0fbaa59fd28dae224a.jpg

49bb58ff44fbbfc6c04a9cd74faec392.jpg

e0784ad2db62f9144a4420f4c95758ab.jpg

Cheers, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Very nice and unconventional departure from a conservative functional design. Perfect "taster".
More functional than usual in smaller containers, too. Good expression of the growth ring grain in the bowl.

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Very nice and unconventional departure from a conservative functional design. Perfect "taster".
More functional than usual in smaller containers, too. Good expression of the growth ring grain in the bowl.

That's another thing I have been experimenting with lately.
I find the best way to expose the froth rings like this is to make the bowl fairly deep and carve from the outside of the billet in rather than the more conventional inside out.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Looks nice, did i miss a book or something? Is there styles n specific models people are trying to shape spoons into? Sounds weird to me, i just take a kinife to the wood and the wood grain decides the shape of the spoon more than my thoughts on design, if there is a book what's it called? I'd love to see how wrong i am :D

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Looks nice, did i miss a book or something? Is there styles n specific models people are trying to shape spoons into? Sounds weird to me, i just take a kinife to the wood and the wood grain decides the shape of the spoon more than my thoughts on design, if there is a book what's it called? I'd love to see how wrong i am :D

Yep, all that goes for me, too :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
To me, a spoon has to fit into three spaces - your hand, your bowl and your mouth!

That's about it - if it does all that, it's a spoon.

Just because yours is a different shape to some others - it still fits that criteria and carries a beauty all of its own!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In any professional kitchen, you can see a variety of spoon shapes, many of them quite large.
Since there are no rules for shape, what can you carve that a paraplegic might be able to hold?

Rapidly stirring liquids, forks are effective and they do not splash & splatter. Carve some.

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
😀nope no secret book of hidden lore just me messing about with some design elements and ending up with something unexpected.

I tend to follow the same process as you in terms of just picking up a knife but I do have a batch of simple templates depending on the size and general shape I want to make, though that does change depending on the grain to a lesser or greater degree.

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hi
On the subject of books

Barn the Spoon has just released a book called Spon
You guessed it it's about Spoon carving and details a dozen or so different styles some of them not too far removed from yours ! Just saying!

Gary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE