How big is a Trangia Burner?

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I have the burner from the SA cooking set, but am trying (with no luck) to find out the diameter and height of the regular civvie Trangias......

Will any of them fit inside the Crusader cooker unit??

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
No idea as to whether it'd fit (or work in) the Crusader cooker unit but the civvi trangia burner is approx 78mm across (including the bit that stops it falling through the hole) x 44mm tall. I've no idea whether the simmer ring would work in conjunction with the cooker unit either.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The civvy ones are shallower and just a bit wider than the SA ones - neither fits in a Crusader well

Red

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I've seen crusader cookers with two sizes of ring in the base. One small one fits a Vargo Ti thing, but the other bigger one would take a full width pepsi pop can stove (reduced height), so may take a trangia burner. You may find height is the limiting factor though, as it may snag the bar.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I think I have the smaller Crusader burner, it won't fit a coke can, but will fit a smaller type can - I made a can stove but I like the fact you can leave some fuel in a Trangia and screw a lid on....

Is the 'mini trangia' a smaller burner, or just a smaller potstand / windshield etc?

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
the copy webtex warrior burners have a smaller burning dish in them but you could make a red bull stove instead. elsewhere I posted the size I made a pop can insert stove but a simpler design without jets to save on wasted fuel.

tinkering today I made a packet of pasta and sauce with three pop bottle capfulls of meths. :)

trangias are heavy and its recomended that you burn them dry is possible as they tend to leak after a while. you can of course just pour meths into the cooking ring as it works fine. I'd stick some fibreglass insulation in it to act as a wick.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I know that Trangia burners are considered 'heavy', but they're very efficient and reliable.

I'm looking at some other solutions but I like the idea of having a stackable cooking system based around the crusader cup etc.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
then make a shallow pop can burner or do the fibre glass trick then it stays stackable and you only need to carry fuel as the extra.

does the cup fit the stove properly?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I would dump the Crusader cooker and go for

http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/trangia-westwind-stove.html

In fact, you could knock up a similar base yourself and just buy a Trangia burner with simmer plate.

I've nothing against pop can stoves, made a few myself, but the Trangia burner is tougher and the simmer ring will give you up to a 50 minute burn time

For those still using Green Heat, here is an alternative that burns a bit (but not a lot) better

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lot-of-12-x-S...6360133QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Is the 'mini trangia' a smaller burner, or just a smaller potstand / windshield etc?

Had to find the old photos as the mini is packed.
I made it my self.

Asembeld.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE