Horses hoof fungus - Aberdeenshire

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I'm off to Strathdon in Aberdeenshire in November for a week.
So a couple of questions for anyone who knows the area please.

1. Are there any good woods in the area to visit and particularly I want to get myself some Horses hoof fungus to make some tinder up with. Any ideas?
and some good walks would be nice too with some nice views as I want to do some photography too.

2. I want to do some fishing while I'm there so what's a good spot to go too? Preferably off the rocks or a pier/jetty as I'm only going to be taking my spinning/float rod for some late bass or mackeral and hopefully some autumn whiting :headbang:

Any help appreciated Thanks :)

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
hi there sorry dont really know the area too well but does anyone know if you have to dry Horse Hoof Fungus out first, or will it take a spark straight away like some cramp balls?

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I live in Strathdon in Aberdeenshire. If you PM me with exactly where you are going to be I'll give you some info. However, as we are about 45 miles inland you'll struggle for a pier!:eek:

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Thanks Fred. PM sent.
Yes I know it's away from the coast but I'm hiring a car to get up there with for the week so I'll be able to drive to the coast. Any pointers of some public woods to go to would be fantastic. Again I don't mind driving a bit to get there. Is there any Horses hoof fungus around your way?

Bushcraft Bob. There are some tutorials on Horse hoof fungus prep. Try a search. I'd post a link to the thread but I don't know how :confused: :thinkerg:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE