Horseradish Cordage Powered Bowdrill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mang

Settler
You might have chanced upon a video challenge by a lovely lady called Sally Pointer, amongst other things she does self styled 'hedge bothering' videos and one that caught my eye a while ago is on prepping horseradish leaves to make cordage. I will always try and cite where I got an idea in a blog or Youtube video but often struggle to do so as, y'know, stuff just goes in and you move on...Well I can say hand on heart that this was the first time I'd seen Armoracia rusticana prepped in such a way so I've stuck a link in the video. Anyways, a session in the woods experimenting with Horseradish cordage to power a bowdrill set.

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
You might have chanced upon a video challenge by a lovely lady called Sally Pointer, amongst other things she does self styled 'hedge bothering' videos and one that caught my eye a while ago is on prepping horseradish leaves to make cordage. I will always try and cite where I got an idea in a blog or Youtube video but often struggle to do so as, y'know, stuff just goes in and you move on...Well I can say hand on heart that this was the first time I'd seen Armoracia rusticana prepped in such a way so I've stuck a link in the video. Anyways, a session in the woods experimenting with Horseradish cordage to power a bowdrill set.
Have u tried spruce roots?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes.
I didn't have a lot of success with them, tbh. I make a lot of cordage but that stuff was stiff, and it didn't run freely enough for me.
We don't have a lot of spruce around us here though, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a knack to it that I haven't managed.

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Yes.
I didn't have a lot of success with them, tbh. I make a lot of cordage but that stuff was stiff, and it didn't run freely enough for me.
We don't have a lot of spruce around us here though, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a knack to it that I haven't managed.
it worked good for me i split and braided thin roots usually get 3 serious attempts before if breaks I held the tailpeice in my hand with a knot in its end before u use it cut a notch I n a stick put it in the ground and draw the root thru the notch scraping the root to make it plyable I also soak them in a little water really strong stuff makes good snares to

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE