Horse lead rope

Jul 4, 2013
Spain
Does anyone know of a video or instructions for making a paracord horse lead rope. I have seen the videos of dog leads but they are not thick enough. I need something a bit more substantial that wont slip through my fingers.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Not really suitable for the purpose, in my view; by the time you plait p'cord thick enough it will be very heavy and I think the surface texture is wrong for a lead rope. They've been traditionally made from either leather, some sort of webbing or most popular of all is a loose lightweight plaited cotton..........these are strong, light and wont damage either your hands or the horse's skin in the event of a mis-hap........the other thing to think about is that p'cord is too static,i.e, lack of stretch and would damage a tied horse in the eventuality of the frightened horse jerking or pulling when tied; it's also difficult to tie p'cord quickly and securely which is prerequisite in a lead rope.

It was always drummed into me by people who knew about horses - soft rope, soft hands and soft voice = happy and sound horses................................atb mac

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
+ 1 to what Macaroon said.
A lead rope is supposed to break in the event of a horse panicking and pulling back on the rope. A plaited paracord rope will break the horses neck first.
Soft flexible cotton is the way to go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE