Hole Station recommendation

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
The weekend before last I had the pleasure of camping at an unusual little camp site north of Okehampton in Devon, unusual in the fact that Hole Station is actually a disused railway station and where one camps, is in the woods, where no vehicles are allowed, no pets, no music or musical instruments and no children no matter how well behaved they can be and often are, but the campsite is strictly adults only. Open fires are encouraged but foraging for fuel is not and the loos are of the composting types, yes after a year they use the donations as fertiliser. Fire wood, one can bring their own or purchase from the owners along with a fire lighter if it is needed, but for about £6 one gets a crate of sized logs, enough for a good evening's blaze or if used conservatively it can last two to three nights. Each pitch of which you choose yourself is equipped with a fire pit ( wagon wheel rim) and a basha shelter which can be used as a kitchen, we did.

Now I realise such a campsite is not bush crafting, but on occasion campsites are required and if in the area and one is in need of a campsite, consider Hole Station it is quite different and there is a pub within walking distance too.

But ;

http://www.freewebs.com/holestationcampsite/

I'll be going back there, that is for sure, maybe do a tarp shelter and hammock next time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE