Hogweed??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Just saw Huge Furry Whippingstool eating hogweed shoots on telly. Is this right? :shock: I thought hogweed was a general no no, (not to mention causing a nasty rash! :oops:)

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Giant Hogweed is the one that's usually recognised as containing substances in the sap which can cause nasty skin reactions even just from touching the plant, never mind cutting or strimming it. According to "Poisonous Plants and Fungi" by Cooper, Johnson and Dauncey ordinary Hogweed and other plants of the same family also contain the same substances.

I'm not at all confident to identify the various umbilliferae, especially the younger plants and shoots, after all even a Giant Hogweed starts off as a small one, and of course Hemlock too.....

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Justin Time said:
Giant Hogweed is the one that's usually recognised as containing substances in the sap which can cause nasty skin reactions even just from touching the plant, never mind cutting or strimming it. According to "Poisonous Plants and Fungi" by Cooper, Johnson and Dauncey ordinary Hogweed and other plants of the same family also contain the same substances.

I'm not at all confident to identify the various umbilliferae, especially the younger plants and shoots, after all even a Giant Hogweed starts off as a small one, and of course Hemlock too.....

Is this the family that contains Caw Parsley, and those plants that have a pleasant aniseed tast and hollow stems that make great pea-shooters until you get a nasty rash round your mouth and stomach cramps?

Keith.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Keith_Beef said:
Justin Time said:

Is this the family that contains Caw Parsley, and those plants that have a pleasant aniseed tast and hollow stems that make great pea-shooters until you get a nasty rash round your mouth and stomach cramps?

Keith.

Yep, that's the one!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE