Hogweed soup

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I am browsing the Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine which I've mentioned
before - it's an online, freely accessible journal - and thought this was quite a nice
little tale.

"According to a 17th century menu hogweed soup was served every Wednesday
during the period of Lent for the professors of Jagiellonian University in Cracow and
they also ate it as the main soup at Easter."

Wild vascular plants gathered for consumption in the Polish countryside: a review
http://www.ethnobiomed.com/content/3/1/17

Anyone tried this? I see from my search that Phil (TMKTC) made a nice hogweed pie.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I am browsing the Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine

As you do...;)
I am going to have to try something with hogweed next year (saying that, there are some still out in flower round here) The smell of the flowers do put me off somewhat though..

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
No i have never tried it.

I will try most things once, especially if it has a some history of been eaten. the problem is one of my old fungi field guides has the line " deadly poisonous, eaten in poland" . Having read alot about toxicology, i would estimate about half of all cited cases of poisoning are of polish people between 1940 and 1965. Anyone that eats wild plants owes a great debt to people of poland. :notworthy

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Ah... the journal doesn't mention if the Jagiellonian University found it necessary to
recruit new professors after every Easter meal ;)

It did seem to involve a good long soak before boiling it up though, but I don't think
the water was changed. I might have another re-read.

I was struggling to find something a bit more UK based in the journal though - it's
all a bit exotic.

xylaria

The problem with the UK is that our knowledge of wild plants died out a long time before the polish knowledge did. It is a good warning when times got tough during the ww2, i have the distinct impression that the some of the population were forced to forage wild plants but didn't have the knowledge to do so safely.

I have seen recipes some where, i will have a look.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have a friend in London who works as a chef, and she has a book with old recipes in. Nettle beer is one of them! I was really impressed with that. There was loads more, I think the book os quite expensive these days but I'll find out what it's called next time I call her.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
According to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall the tender young shoots are best; they can be eaten raw or steamed/boiled. Apparently they have a slightly camphorous taste which Hugh reckons will grow on you.

I think the reason you are seeing deaths connected to the consumption of Hogweed is due to the unwary confusing it with Hemlock and Tubular Water Dropwort, neither of which you want to eat.

Hemlock is pretty easy to identify as it has pinkish/purple blotches on the stems and the Dropwort has a much smoother stem than Hogweed.

As with all things you intend to eat though, use a decent guide book or, preferably, go with someone who knows!

HTH

Al

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Its really important here to distinguish between Hogweed (Heracleum sphondylium) and Giant Hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum).

The former is native to the UK, the latter an introduction from Eastern Europe, though spread across most of Europe now.

The former is edible - the stems and leaves are tasty, and can be used when young.

the later is highly phototoxic - the sap, if placed on skin, can cause a severe allergic reaction and death, particularly if the skin exposure is high (especially amongst children). It can also cause a mild reaction on exposure, but then cause severe reactions much later in life following exposure to bright sunlight. Nasty stuff.

As always, since both plants look similar (apart from size), especially when young, be very careful in identifcation.

xylaria

This thread has some excellent piccys and advice courtesy of mr Pickett. I couldn't trust myself to tell the differance until jon pickett told me. The giant hogweed is allot more bristly when young compared to hogweed. The leaves are differant shaped too.

As with all wild foods you eat at your own risk, and at your own judgement regarding identity.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE