Hobo Stove Legality

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I'm quite keen to start using a hobo stove instead of my MSR as it is almost a proper fire. How do park rangers feel about this in 'no fire' areas (ie. the whole of England:( )?

Also, has anyone used the Swedish army trangia minus the meths burner + a base as a hobo stove? Would this even work?

Many thanks for any advice.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I've used my SAT with fire, but only once. There was no twisting or buckling and it survived with just one change - the heat/flames turned the black base PINK :p .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Ran out of meths :red: :slap: Forgot to say that along with now being a soft pink it's also a softer metal now. Meal and brew done with one block of trioxane (which I carry because it lights easily from a ferro rod) and 5 fir cones.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I'm quite keen to start using a hobo stove instead of my MSR as it is almost a proper fire. How do park rangers feel about this in 'no fire' areas...

Always best to ask the individuals concerned, on a case by case basis. you'll sometimes get different answers from different people in the same spot, and you'll often get different answers to the same question posed in different ways. The emphasis must always be on responsibility, sympathy and respect for nature.

Also, has anyone used the Swedish army trangia minus the meths burner + a base as a hobo stove? Would this even work?

Sure it will work. Lots of us do things like that. My personal preference is to keep my utensils as clean as I can, so as far as cooking is concerned I only burn wood (just dead twigs, really) in my Ghillie kettle for hot water. But in a pinch I'd have no hesitation using an old baked bean can or whatever to make a hobo stove to boil something up in one of my nice clean cook pots. Stainless and titanium (if you can afford it!) are a lot more tolerant of high temperatures than aluminium, but unless you're really over zealous with the fire even aluminium will be OK.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Recently had a ranger come up to us after a member of the public complained that there was a woman and a baby lighting a fire, clearly I was too camouflaged! He was fine, said its basically a Trangia and said next time use some drrier wood so it don't smoke so much!

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
My hobo was made from a steel utensil holder as the burner. It has holes in the bottom as well as the sides. I got four 2 and a 1/2" bolts with nuts so i can get it off the ground if neccessary. Just finger tight is plenty for ease of use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE