Herbal Tea

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've recently started trying to wean myyself off or at least reduce the amount of coffee i'm drinking. I've aquired a taste for some of the infused andd herbal teas, has any one tried making their own?

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I rather liked fresh banana leaf tea in the summer (hanging over from my next door's jungle).

And I quite enjoyed tea made from the sweet violet (viola odorata)

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
I was off caffiene for almost 3 years before I gradually started drinking coffee again. While off tea and coffee I drank herbal teas but found they were quite bland after a while, though some were better than others....so I started to make my own.

My favourite was to simmer a large pot of water for half an hour with fresh ginger, cinnamon sticks, cloves and slices of lemon...you could add honey for sweetness if necessary...if you wanted a small kick...throw in a few pepper corns. This could be drunk either hot or chilled. It took a few attempts to get the right balance of each ingredient.

Also try fresh lemongrass...just experiment with different herbs, spices etc....you'll be amazed at the some of the flavours you'll come up with...with some going straight down the sink!

Happy brewing!!!

Vince

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine changes throughout the year. I'm fond of the berry leaf ones though; raspberry, blackcurrant, strawberry are all good. I like yarrow with orange peel too and the mints are always fresh. Just now I'm drinking acorn and dandelion coffees quite a lot.
I have to watch the commercial ones because they use Liquorice roots as a cheap flavour boost, but it's a vasodilator and gives me migraine :(

Good thread, I like recipes and ideas for things like this. :D

cheers,
Toddy

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Theres a Sai****ys herbal called Yogitea which has three flavours in the range that I've seen, my favourite being Liquirice flavour :cool:
As for home made teas, I'm very much a beginner so I'm watching this thread to glean any tips.

Ogri the trog

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Cheers guys I'm going to start experiementing, I usually grow mint to use the leaves in tea but thats about the extent so far.

Toddy do you use the leaves of strawberry, rasberry and blackcurrent? Never thought about trying that, only used the fruit before, I've got quite a large boysenberry growing in our garden so I'll try that.

Windward that recipe will definatly get tried, I'm quite partial to fresh ginger.

Matt

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
Ogri the trog said:
Theres a Sai****ys herbal called Yogitea which has three flavours in the range that I've seen, my favourite being Liquirice flavour :cool:
As for home made teas, I'm very much a beginner so I'm watching this thread to glean any tips.

Ogri the trog

I had this one from the USA...and hadn't seen it at home, will be looking for it now, as its a winner!

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE