help with with my gas stove

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
iv got my first gas stove in the post today, when im using it there seems to be a flame appearing at the bottom at the gas line, i took a photo
5284efd2-f9c1-d69b.jpg
it also came with these 2 pieces and a washer which i put were the leek was coming from but it didnt stop it
5284eef4-fa50-d677.jpg

washer
5284eef4-fa79-a776.jpg

can anyone tell me what the parts are for and how do i stop the little flame at the bottom?

many thanx mb

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
What model is it?.

Looks like a leak from the supply line into the appliance.

If you have the option then I'd return the appliance to the retailer.

If its a chinese clone you got off of a seller on eBay based in HK then that might not be an option

We need a better picture of the appliance supply line connection. Is it a threaded connection or is it crimped??

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
MB, Hi matey :)

The stove is usually sold as a muti fuel but the gas burner sold as a stove and the remainder as spares. You have retained a pump cup for liquid fuel (goes on the pump) and what looks like from the side angle a jet/filter for liquid fuel. You don't need them, but keep them to one side...I'll have 'em :rolleyes:

I've just whipped mine apart and there should NOT be a washer there. Dispense with it and try again again mate. I can't see from the photo...is the flame above the soldered nut on the pipe or below? If above it's due to defective soldering and it will need re-soldering.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's one of those Chinese multi fuels off ebay isn't it? I'd strip it right down in case something has been cross threaded somewhere, assemble it back together again and try it, hopefully the seals will be right now.

If it's still squirting a jet from the fuel pipe I'd send the seller the photo and ask for a replacement.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
thank guys @ johnboy its a tk800 S-9 stove, its of ebay, the line screws onto the unit, is there a way to seal up the leak?

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Yep there is.

Undo your current repair and look at both the male and female threads on the union. Do the show signs of cross threading or poorly formed threads?. If yes then repair is going to be more complex. If not try the following.

Screw the threaded union hand tight making sure not to cross thread anything also make sure there is no grit or debris in the union. Then tighten the union with a correctly fitting spanner to get it tight.

Fill up the kitchen sink with cold clean water. Open the kitchen window.

Attach canister to appliance then dunk the stove and specifically the repaired joint under the water and switch the gas on.

Observe the union if it's emitting a stream of bubbles then it's leaking if not then its tight.

Remove the stove from the sink.

Let the room ventilate a bit. ( hence the open window)

If the joint was tight and no bubbles were observed then move onto lighting the stove in a well ventilated area. Perhaps with a fire fighting method to hand...

If it was leaking disassemble and get some plumbers PTFE tape and put a couple of tightly wound turns onto the male thread. Retighten as above and perform the leak test in the water.

If it is still leaking then I'd stop riffing around and get on eBay for a refund.. Those Nova/ booster hybrid clones are a QA disaster area... The factory they are made in is pretty nasty....

Hope this helps. If you are unsure of anything drop me a PM...

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Yep there is.

Undo your current repair and look at both the male and female threads on the union. Do the show signs of cross threading or poorly formed threads?. If yes then repair is going to be more complex. If not try the following.

Screw the threaded union hand tight making sure not to cross thread anything also make sure there is no grit or debris in the union. Then tighten the union with a correctly fitting spanner to get it tight.

Fill up the kitchen sink with cold clean water. Open the kitchen window.

Attach canister to appliance then dunk the stove and specifically the repaired joint under the water and switch the gas on.

Observe the union if it's emitting a stream of bubbles then it's leaking if not then its tight.

Remove the stove from the sink.

Let the room ventilate a bit. ( hence the open window)

If the joint was tight and no bubbles were observed then move onto lighting the stove in a well ventilated area. Perhaps with a fire fighting method to hand...

If it was leaking disassemble and get some plumbers PTFE tape and put a couple of tightly wound turns onto the male thread. Retighten as above and perform the leak test in the water.

If it is still leaking then I'd stop riffing around and get on eBay for a refund.. Those Nova/ booster hybrid clones are a QA disaster area... The factory they are made in is pretty nasty....

Hope this helps. If you are unsure of anything drop me a PM...

thank you so much mate I will do that first thing, and let you know how it goes,
im hoping its a simple repair

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
it turns out that i didnt have it on tight enough, the tool that comes with it is rubbish so i used one of my own spanners and now it works perfectly, passed the water test, thanx again everyone :) mb

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE