Help needed with rations packs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Hi all

I wonder if anyone can help me here?, I was in my local kit shop and saw the ration packs like I use to use years ago, the date on the box said c/06/03.

I take it this is a date but an expirary? or manufacture/packing date?

I have read that the shelf life for these things is about 3 years, so if it was a packing date then its surely expired.

Im confused please help

Thanks

Don

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I think it's a packing date, but thought the shelf life was longer than 3 years. I think it depends greatly on storage conditions. I'll try and find out.

Thorfinn

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2006
West Lothian
When i was in the cadets as an instructor, i had been issued rations very similar to your ones in date. I've eatin them the kids ate them and we were fine. I think it is the packing date.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I'm quite that the rations will last a lot longer than the military says their shelf life is. I can remember reading a vietnam war memoir once where the author describribed eating a ration that dated back from the second world war. Was he sick? No? Dead? Obviously not as he wrote the book. Can't for the life of me remember the title of it though.

I still have CF aircrew survival rations dated 1997. That's ten years ago. If I ate them, will they kill me? Probably not!

Cheers,

Adam

SunDog

Forager
Oct 14, 2005
South Coast
Agile mate don't worry, you've eaten 15 year old MOD rations before and you're still around.
:) Only joking.

Reminds me of a true story a few years back, when the "Foot and Mouth" Scare was on in Britain. There was a big military exercise involving us Brits over in the USA, and obviously we were taking our coveted UK rations with us.
A directive came down from somewhere (no-one knows where) that the Americans were throwing a wobbler that we were going to bring these rations in, because they contained "Beef Stock Drink". Rumour had it that if the dreaded Beef Stock invaded USA, Mad Cow Disease would spread like wildfire.
The order was to get rid of this part of the rations, or the rations weren't going to be allowed into the USA and we were therefore going hungry.
Thereafter a logistical nightmare ensued, involving the collection and sifting through of thousands of individual UK ration packs to remove one small satchet of Beef Stock from each.
This involved several hundred troops, whose weekend leave was cancelled, and was their sole purpose for 3 days.

Anyway, it turned out that the whole thing was a wind-up.
Someone, somewhere was having a good chuckle to himself.
What a T :p SS :morpheus: R.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
SunDog said:
Agile mate don't worry, you've eaten 15 year old MOD rations before and you're still around.
:)

So that explains the strange twitch I have developed! :)

Honestly though, last time I went camping was kindly offered some of Sundog's UK Military rations; personally I thought they were better than the Wayfarer stuff, which isn't too bad anyway. Besides, at the price that website holds them for, they are well worth it!

Agile

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I've eaten 10 year old rations and I'm still talking about it.
The chocolate goes pretty bad but everything else seemed ok.
It has a lot to do with the temperature they have been stored at, the lower the better.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If the packaging is intact and you cook them up to a good boil the food should still be good to eat when God retires.
I have used these rat packs forever and they are great (and made on the same production line as W**f***r) and the only thing that I have ever had go bad is the cheese - now removed - and chicken and pasta and a rice pud - all of which had damaged packaging.
Cheap tasty and nutr - blast cant spell it! too early in morn! - good for you.
Choc is a bit basic tho unless you get the Yorkie version.
John

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm quite depressed.

When asked for "help with ration packs", I was going to offer to help with the puddings :(

:D

Red

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
When tinned food goes bad, it "blows" the tin swells, the same happens with the meals in rat packs, no swelling you should be fine. What does happen over time, is that the food value reduces, the same as tinned food. I have loads of rat packs, some at least 6 years old, and don't worry about eating them

When my mom passed away, and I cleared her home, the cuboard was full of tinned food (like many people who lived through the war, she stocked up "just in case"), some of it must have been 20 years old or more. I threw a lot away, but kept stuff like sardines, pilchards, mackerel, corned beef, ham, sugar etc and it tasted fine and had no ill effects from it; I even had to big tins of whold chicken in jelly :)

Dissclaimer: If you do eat old rations and get ill don't sue me, and tell your family not to sue me in the event of you shaking off this mortal coil as a result of eating old rations ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE