Help, I think I found a Brain.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Sorry.....Brain Fungus :D

I've searched high and low (And no doubt missed it in the middle!) trying to I.D the fungus in the next two pics.
Working in the vein that many things are named in connection with something they can be considered to look similar to - is this a type of Brain Fungus?

s2020079aga3.jpg

This *trail* is on the same dead stump. Is it more Brain Fungus? Is it the beginning? Is it the end?

s2020083aoy8.jpg

Pretty and intricate.

s2020023apt0.jpg

As I'd never seen a Pheasant on a bird table I thought I'd include this shot :D

s2020053anc8.jpg

Until it's tail came into view I thought I'd found a Vole.......RATS!!!

s2020060ayx7.jpg

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
i would go with soar, i would say the top could also be artist bracket but it has seen out the tree, and maybe getting to a point where it is running out of nutrients. Quite a few polypores do a wierd shape thing when their nutrient supply has run out. They still burn like coal when dry in that state, and hold embers for long time.

The bottom fungi looks like turkey tail but there are several simerlar . There are two unrelated fungi called brain fungus, one is turban fungus, which one of a few deadly poisonous non-gilled fungi, it is related to morels, but it looks like a brain on stem. The other is yellow brain fungus, which is yellow gooey thing on branches.

My liking of urban wildlife doesn't streach as far as rats.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thankyou both,

I think that this is one tree stump (Is it still a stump if it's 10 foot tall?) that I'll keep an eye on :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE