Help I cant Dye!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
How do I get a truley even dying on veg tan leather using feibings(sp) leather dye?

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've found it best to wet the leather then apply the dye with a sponge, quickly. The dye spreads better on wet leather and doesn't leave lines and patchy bits. Don't rely on the piece of felt on a wire that comes with the bottle. A good natural sponge (available from art shops) will do a better job. Wear marigolds to keep your fingers from looking like a sixty a day smoker, and wash the sponge out immediately after use.

Eric

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
First off, make sure your leather is clean. Degrease it with some isopropanol too.

Then, you have a couple of choices:

1) Dip dye. Immerse the entire item in dye, gets a very even deep coat, but uses a lot of dye.
2) Spray. Use an airbrush or some sort of sprayer, mist it over. Not great on getting solvents into the air, and you can end up with the dye drying before it hits the leather if you spray from too far back.
3) Thoroughly dampen the leather with water, then use a dauber (or in my case, a chunk of cellulose sponge wrapped with denim) to paint on the dye. The dye won't absorb quite as quickly into the leather due to the water, and you'll get a more even coat.

#3 is even easier if the leather is flat (i.e. not finished goods). Mike T uses this method for his fantastic folder sheaths.

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
if u want to dye it black a good cheap dye can be made by dissolving iron in vinegar, it dosnt run or any thing, as its a chemical reaction with the leather. takes a while to get rid of the vinegar smell. also it dosnt get every think else black like ur fingers so is really easy to apply. (thanks to Espy for that one). i just did it with a 1 inch paint brush.

hope this helps
tp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE