Hello little weired fellah!

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I met this chap this morning sitting on my neighbour's Japanese quince. I think I might know what he is but anyone else care to hazard an opinion?
CATERP1.jpg

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Having looked at some web sites I did indeed think it might be a vapourer moth caterpillar.

I thought it was rather beautiful. I had never seen anything like it before.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The trees in north london used to have a real serious problem with them. I am sure they are the critters that scoff fruit trees and then fall off landing down and falling down the neck of clothing, The dermatitis they produce is can be very nasty. I took to wearing a hood after seeing the hidious rash one of them gave my brother. Nice to know the name now though.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
The trees in north london used to have a real serious problem with them. I am sure they are the critters that scoff fruit trees and then fall off landing down and falling down the neck of clothing, The dermatitis they produce is can be very nasty. I took to wearing a hood after seeing the hidious rash one of them gave my brother. Nice to know the name now though.
After a little reading I think my guy is off the hook. The N.London chappy was I think the Oak Processionary Moth - a different family and species - much more troublesome.

bild1168.jpg

My chappie is certainly more cute!

CATERP1.jpg

My little guy certainly eats everything, and it has toxic hairs, but I don't think its the one that drops on people a lot.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Ahh ive had them all over me before big pile of them fell on my head but i had a hat on, I truly am scared of the little bleeders

xylaria

Yes rich59 your caterpillar is very cute,

.......but being good looking stop anything from been mean and nasty, it mearly means they have hope of getting away with it.

There is a foragers saying "All that is sweet is not good, and all that is bitter is not poison". Can be applied to alot things in life including cute little critters that happly scoff fruit trees in large numbers without falling off at all.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Yes rich59 your caterpillar is very cute,

.......but being good looking stop anything from been mean and nasty, it mearly means they have hope of getting away with it.

There is a foragers saying "All that is sweet is not good, and all that is bitter is not poison". Can be applied to alot things in life including cute little critters that happly scoff fruit trees in large numbers without falling off at all.
So may be that is an evolutionary thing. Look cute but be horrible underneath! Any other examples of this rule?

While on the thought of evolution I am very puzzled by this guy's habits. Apparently most of the life cycle is spent as either a hibernating egg or as a caterpillar. For a brief period twice a year there is an adult stage. The male is a full fledged moth that never feeds and so dies very quickly. The female is wingless and never leaves the vacinity of its pupa. It just mates/ lays eggs (it also doesn't eat)

So... that means that it would only colonise a new territory as fast a caterpillar can eat its way. One would think that a winged female would have a distinct advantage in spreading them about. The strangeness of nature!

xylaria

[
QUOTE=rich59;317971]So may be that is an evolutionary thing. Look cute but be horrible underneath! Any other examples of this rule?

So you have worked with young offenders then, by the sounds of it:lmao:

In nature there is quite a few examples, of tastes sweet and is poisonous. Deadly nightshade fruit tastes like saccharin and tobacco. Quite a few deadly fungi taste and smell very mild. The fact they are toxic to us is probably more by accident as other creatures can consume them without effect

So... that means that it would only colonise a new territory as fast a caterpillar can eat its way. One would think that a winged female would have a distinct advantage in spreading them about. The strangeness of nature!
[/QUOTE]

The bright colours and toxic hairs look like they are the advantage, as its larvae stage is seemingly important. The been cute to us is a side effect of looking really nasty to a bird, in the absence of the shear numbers game the oak moth plays where a good deal of its young end up squashed on islington pavements, dissuading predation is a logical evolutionary step.

On a more unnatural note severe personality disorders are often 'convincingly pleasant'. I have met socially the psychiatric nurse that watched the live feed of the CVS on southall,golden,samuals [BMJ96/pediatrics97]. I have also dealt with one simerlar case. The pleasant side seems to be a survival trait and coping strategy in these individuals.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE