Hello from Finland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 4, 2014
Finland
Hello,

I am a guy from Tampere, Finland. I am 38. I´ve had BCUK on my liked pages in Facebook for quite some time, and eventually I wanted to register on the forum. You British folks are very passionate about bushcraft and I like very much how you really put a lot of effort into learning the skills. MCQBushcraft is one of my favourite Youtube channels among others.

Hiking, bushcraft and backpacking are my passion too, and in that order also. Mostly I do dayhikes and one night overnighters in my local woodlands around the city. Luckily, in Finland the woods aren´t never very far away :) We also have very good laws for camping and hiking; it´s legal to camp and hike even on private lands here. I feel a bit sorry for the strict laws of many other countries.

I go on longer backpacking trips a couple of times a year. My longest backpacking trip was for 23 days and 315 kilometres last fall in Urho Kekkosen Kansallispuisto, a Finnish National Park. I wanted to test myself and really get experience on being out in the wilderness for a longer time. I was exhausted but very happy when I returned home.

I´ve developed a somewhat spiritual connection with nature, and I honor the ancestors beliefs from times when humans still lived as a part of the wild as foragers. In June this year I made a little pilgrimage to a major rock painting site in Hossa, Finland. It was mindblowing to look at the crude paintings from 5000 years back. Not my last rock painting visit for sure.

I´m mostly a hammock camper, but bivvy and tarp are fine too. I walk pretty much on every trip so I like light gear.

I take photos of all my walkabouts and keep them as a kind of diary, and I like to go through them later. I don´t know if I´ll be writing a lot on the forum, but I´m likely to share some photos.

When it comes to traditional bushcraft, I´ve practiced fire making, navigating with natural means and all that basic stuff. I´ve carved my own kuksa from a birch burl. I´ve tested different gear and come to know what works best for me. I´m still far from an expert and I´m not sure if I even want to be an expert...I feel more like a humble student in my heart :)

Cheers,

Ali, Finland

Reactions: Poacherman

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE