Hello Fresh / Gousto - Menu subscription services

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Just some random thoughts of mine after using these services for a while for anyone that may find it useful.

So I've been using a mix of services but mostly HelloFresh ( 60% ) , Gousto ( 35% ) and Plantfood ( 5% ) over the last 6 months I'd say.
To make it clear I chose this route out of interest in a different style of food shopping - I'd consider myself some one that can cook and enjoys cooking and can normally knock something relatively decent out of random ingredients without having to follow a recipe of sorts.

SIMPLICITY

By choosing weekly or having a menu list pre-generated and supplied it can definitely cut down on the ' what shall I/We eat tonight ' never ending question. Its a bit like Ration packs in that sense - you get a supply of food for your main meals - you cook them as prescribed - job done.

COST

Costs between the different services do vary - Hello Fresh and Gousto do seem in the same ballpark and the Market leaders. I would have tried Planthood for longer but frankly they do appear to be quite pricey as its purely vegetarian.

If one was conventionally shopping there is always a danger of randomly picking items of shelves and popping into the shops many times during the week to 'pick a few things up' and end up over spending. And in the end not using the food you've potentially purchased.

It also limits/avoids the temptation to have a take away - my local small town has a Fish'n'Chip shop , Indian(s) , Chinese(s) , Pizza/Doner and even a KFC Knock off - and also a few pubs that do food. I honestly think having a subscription food service have helped limit submitting to the temptation as you do become accustomed to cooking what you've unpacked.

WASTE
So by having a set menu of set ingredients there is very little food waste. I did say Food waste. There is a reasonable amount of plastic waste as a lot of the more basic staple items come in individual smaller packages ( Tomato puree , Chicken Stock , Rice ) so thats a consideration.
The food tends to be delivered by courier in a large Cardboard box , kept chilled with little frozen ice bags and insulative wool outers. The inners tend to be paperbags -each annotated with a number corresponding to the Menu Number.
So the large Cardboard box , Wool bag , Smaller paper bags and Ice bags all need to be considered ref the waste aspect.

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS

As mentioned each bag of food corresponds to a recipe sheet for that meal - the instructions are broken down into multiple steps but mostly follow a simple follow along plan. Its all well illustrated and instructions are 'just enough' to get by. Nutritional profile information also tend to be there and some suggestions for optional extras or ideas

So after trying them for a while what do I think?

Well I guess its somewhat subjective - I do consider myself relatively comfortable with food , cooking processes and 'tricks' so i'm trying to view and think of its application from a variety of perspectives.

Ingredients
Definitely provides an introduction to some more diverse ingredients - be that Bulgar wheat , Orzo or Green Lentils - which I'm sure we have all heard of but don't cook with in a stereotypical ( I'm possibly projecting ) UK diet. If your standard intake is a plate of beige - chips-fishfingers & beans ( not that I don't enjoy that myself ) then its going to be a bit of a pleasant introduction to other ingredients.

Composition
Most of the meals ( at least from Hello Fresh ) tends to focus around a staple carbohydrate ( Rice, Pasta, Potato ,Bulgar wheat ,) a lean protein ( Chicken , Mince Beef or Lamb , Fish ) and a Vegetable along with some spices/stock and some cheese or dairy.
A criticism could be there isn't more vegetables but again easily rectified with some frozen veg added.

Calories
Another potentially good thing with the set menu is that the calories via portion control are somewhat fixed. You cook what is in the bag , that is the calories. You can indeed add something to up the calories and bulk if you feel a need too and I've done that - turning a Two person meal into serving three people with a tin of staple chickpeas or lentils etc.
Calories can be let to control themselves or you can intervene - if you are following just the menu you are choosing to have set calories or you can bulk them out. I found this quite useful as typical of most guys I can certainly eat a plate clean without issue.
So potentially good for those that need a plan to limit their daily calories.

Learning to Cook
I do think these subscription services are a good choice for those that either want to learn to cook and learn how ingredients come together ( Sour-Sweet-Fat-Acid etc ) and the step by step follow along recipes and repetition allows this to be learnt in a baby steps manner.
As such I could see a pre-paid subscription a nice gift for a person whom has just left home , or lacks cooking skills but wants to learn. Or maybe just a person that doesn't want to think too much ( which I admit can be a relief ) about what too cook for tonights sustenance.

Very useful for learning different spices and seasoning and how certain foody things are made ( I'm often surprised how many people can't make a basic cheese sauce ) so here you can at least learn how to make learning cooking steps an incremental thing as opposed to a vertical intimidating wall of potential failure.

Menu Sheets.
As mentioned each baggy comes with a menu sheet - over time its very possible to see what you do like, discard what you don't like and build up a small library of menus and more importantly the required amount of ingredients you need to recreate those dishes.

These sheets once compiled the give you an exact idea of what one needs to shop for a week/fortnights/months shopping. Which can be useful.

Hello fresh
I liked Hello Fresh the best - One bag - all the items in the same bag and very much a 'onepot' cooking style , which can be good and bad , one pot cooking is quick and easy for cleaning and cooking but can lack textural variation.

Gousto - All food delivered in one box ( so less waste ) which I found a faff to separate out to its prerequisite elements which in the end annoyed me. Its a small thing but got too me. The cooking is more varied and probably higher end than Hello Fresh ( more spices and even more diverse ingredients ) - several pots used and different cooking techniques of ingredients which lead to long cooking times but a more varied plate of food. More time consuming than Hello Fresh in my opinion.

Planthood -- I wanted to try a vegetarian option for a while and the food ( whilst it and my wallet lasted ) was indeed interesting and tasty and no doubt nutritious. If I Could find a cheaper alternative I would try this route again just to experiment more with meat free food - not that I have any issue with meat consumption in general.

PERKS and DISCOUNTS
As with all businesses they are keen to retain your custom and patronage - and like Banks will only give you the good deals when you play them off against each other. If you stay long enough you'll be provided with options to introduce friends via a free week of food in exchange for their ( consenting ) email.

If you go to leave or use your an your partners emails like most things you can be rewarded with better rates and special offers and obviously if you take a break they will be keen to get you back and onboard.

Anyway - I just thought it maybe useful to someone if I shared my thoughts and if anyone wants any questions answered please do ask.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Looked at Hellofresh having dismissed Tesco delivery.
We now do Tesco click & Collect. Our meals are diverse and often experimental. The pick up is by appointment and timed to coincide with some other trip out.
Like your system it prevents impulse purchase. We can change it whenever we wish up to midnight the night before and we get a text the day before.
Any substitutions are emailed before pick up and I can reject any of the order that I want even the stuff that we ordered, all at the time of pick up.

Downside - for the new (last month) system you have to have a smart phone. It’s possible without but a faf.

I can see the fun of the unexpected and the untried and maybe we could do with a little portion control. When I cook I serve a mountain of veg.
But
It suits us as your system suits you :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

Just some random thoughts of mine after using these services for a while for anyone that may find it useful.
That was an excellent, objective & considered review.

Thank you very much for taking the time

Reactions: TeeDee

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Somerset, Yorkshire, Lincolnshire
Agree with you re Gousto.

I’d say I’m pretty handy in the kitchen but enjoyed not having to work out ingredients and things for a few months, took that chore away which was nice. Also as you mention, it meant no needing to work out nutritional value manually.

An annoying thing was that after a few months it all got a bit samey.

Thanks for the comprehensive reviews, handy reference.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Agree with you re Gousto.

I’d say I’m pretty handy in the kitchen but enjoyed not having to work out ingredients and things for a few months, took that chore away which was nice. Also as you mention, it meant no needing to work out nutritional value manually.

An annoying thing was that after a few months it all got a bit samey.

Thanks for the comprehensive reviews, handy reference.

Yep - Thanks to raising that - of the Two Hello Fresh seems to offer a far greater variety of meals - just more total options. And if you don't pick and select your options by a set time each week it will assign a randomised prechosen selection - which again has pros and cons - you could potentially get something you absolutely don't want or be pleasantly challenged ( as I was with Tofu ) into having something you normally wouldn't pick for yourself.

So Hello Fresh - lots of options -pages and pages of them. Gousto - not so much - I'm not saying Limited but you can definitely work through catalogue quicker than the competition.

I've paused using all services currently for a bit out of , what I think Chris discovered , even with Hello Fresh it did feel somewhat samey after a while. Now I suspect this is more the one pot cooking style for me - its hard to cook lots of things in the same pot ( which on one side I like for ease of clean up and speed ) and it not to mouth-feel very similar. Which is where that element of textural variation comes into play.

There may also over time be a psychological resentment - the opposite side of the coin to ' not having to think' that because the day to day options are all made on a weekly basis potentially when Friday rolls around you just really don't fancy Sea Bass on a puddle of green lentils with a lemon and basil sauce. You fancy chips.

So currently back to shopping on a conventional basis and will enjoy the odd plate-of-beige and cheeky takeaway till I dive potentially into it all again.

Reactions: British Red

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
That was an excellent, objective & considered review.

Thank you very much for taking the time

Thank you Red - I appreciate that.

Wasn't sure how it was going to land or if it would be useful but food consumption and more importantly food diversity and food waste are topics that genuinely interest me.

Reactions: British Red

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I should also mention I have one free weeks worth of Hello Fresh food token left after giving the other two to consenting friends.

If anyone wants to try HelloFresh free for a week - send me your email addy by message and you'll be welcome to it.

First come - first served.

# For transparency - there is no 'kick back; or rewards that come back to me for this - it is as far as I'm aware just a loss leader exercise to gather more customers.

Last edited:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
We use Hello fresh. I'm the cook in our house. It's so super easy when i get home from work it's ridiculous!.

However, I find the meals a little same same. Heavier on the carbs than I like and too light on the protein for me. This is purely subjective. When I cook now, I nearly always have a steak as a starter, and I don't eat the carb portion very often.

The meals are very tasty though. Flavours are good. If you don't mind potatoes you won't have a problem!

Sent from my SM-A546B using Tapatalk

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
We use Hello fresh. I'm the cook in our house. It's so super easy when i get home from work it's ridiculous!.

However, I find the meals a little same same. Heavier on the carbs than I like and too light on the protein for me. This is purely subjective. When I cook now, I nearly always have a steak as a starter, and I don't eat the carb portion very often.

The meals are very tasty though. Flavours are good. If you don't mind potatoes you won't have a problem!

Yeah -Also noted and true - I would look at a packet of chicken and juxtapose it against what I would normally proportion for myself. The Protein is somewhat on the lower end - easy to bulk up with pantry chickpeas in most cases - but then you are subsidising what should be in a theory a complete ingredient list.

I guess the main aspect is Cost - Protein being more expensive ( at least Animal based Proteins ) than Carbs - they are doing it as a company to make a profit so I get it and I do find its men that tend to think more pro-protein ( then moan about it not being there ) than women. Its a very valid point.
In the end I didn't die, I think I don't need the meal sizes and portions I've been cooking and there wasn't any - " I'll put this in the fridge and eat it as leftovers " moments.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thank you Red - I appreciate that.

Wasn't sure how it was going to land or if it would be useful but food consumption and more importantly food diversity and food waste are topics that genuinely interest me.
Me too very much. Our approach is very different but we live differently to most people, but always interested in pursuing both variety, new recipes & flavours. Our latest is "Mongolian venison" (similar Mongolian beef) made with wild Rie venison

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
The Protein is somewhat on the lower end - easy to bulk up with pantry chickpeas in most cases - but then you are subsidising what should be in a theory a complete ingredient list.

I think I don't need the meal sizes and portions I've been cooking and there wasn't any - " I'll put this in the fridge and eat it as leftovers " moments.

There's never any leftovers from Hellofresh in our house. Most of the time (before I started having steak as a starter) I was left feeling like I could of eaten twice the portion size!

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire

So I've been using a mix of services but mostly HelloFresh ( 60% ) , Gousto ( 35% ) and Plantfood ( 5% ) over the last 6 months I'd say.
To make it clear I chose this route out of interest in a different style of food shopping - I'd consider myself some one that can cook and enjoys cooking and can normally knock something relatively decent out of random ingredients without having to follow a recipe of sorts.

SIMPLICITY
By choosing weekly or having a menu list pre-generated and supplied it can definitely cut down on the ' what shall I/We eat tonight ' never ending question. Its a bit like Ration packs in that sense - you get a supply of food for your main meals - you cook them as prescribed - job done.

COST
Costs between the different services do vary - Hello Fresh and Gousto do seem in the same ballpark and the Market leaders. I would have tried Planthood for longer but frankly they do appear to be quite pricey as its purely vegetarian.

If one was conventionally shopping there is always a danger of randomly picking items of shelves and popping into the shops many times during the week to 'pick a few things up' and end up over spending. And in the end not using the food you've potentially purchased.

It also limits/avoids the temptation to have a take away - my local small town has a Fish'n'Chip shop , Indian(s) , Chinese(s) , Pizza/Doner and even a KFC Knock off - and also a few pubs that do food. I honestly think having a subscription food service have helped limit submitting to the temptation as you do become accustomed to cooking what you've unpacked.

WASTE
So by having a set menu of set ingredients there is very little food waste. I did say Food waste. There is a reasonable amount of plastic waste as a lot of the more basic staple items come in individual smaller packages ( Tomato puree , Chicken Stock , Rice ) so thats a consideration.
The food tends to be delivered by courier in a large Cardboard box , kept chilled with little frozen ice bags and insulative wool outers. The inners tend to be paperbags -each annotated with a number corresponding to the Menu Number.
So the large Cardboard box , Wool bag , Smaller paper bags and Ice bags all need to be considered ref the waste aspect.

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
As mentioned each bag of food corresponds to a recipe sheet for that meal - the instructions are broken down into multiple steps but mostly follow a simple follow along plan. Its all well illustrated and instructions are 'just enough' to get by. Nutritional profile information also tend to be there and some suggestions for optional extras or ideas

So after trying them for a while what do I think?

Well I guess its somewhat subjective - I do consider myself relatively comfortable with food , cooking processes and 'tricks' so i'm trying to view and think of its application from a variety of perspectives.

Ingredients
Definitely provides an introduction to some more diverse ingredients - be that Bulgar wheat , Orzo or Green Lentils - which I'm sure we have all heard of but don't cook with in a stereotypical ( I'm possibly projecting ) UK diet. If your standard intake is a plate of beige - chips-fishfingers & beans ( not that I don't enjoy that myself ) then its going to be a bit of a pleasant introduction to other ingredients.

Composition
Most of the meals ( at least from Hello Fresh ) tends to focus around a staple carbohydrate ( Rice, Pasta, Potato ,Bulgar wheat ,) a lean protein ( Chicken , Mince Beef or Lamb , Fish ) and a Vegetable along with some spices/stock and some cheese or dairy.
A criticism could be there isn't more vegetables but again easily rectified with some frozen veg added.

Calories
Another potentially good thing with the set menu is that the calories via portion control are somewhat fixed. You cook what is in the bag , that is the calories. You can indeed add something to up the calories and bulk if you feel a need too and I've done that - turning a Two person meal into serving three people with a tin of staple chickpeas or lentils etc.
Calories can be let to control themselves or you can intervene - if you are following just the menu you are choosing to have set calories or you can bulk them out. I found this quite useful as typical of most guys I can certainly eat a plate clean without issue.
So potentially good for those that need a plan to limit their daily calories.

Learning to Cook
I do think these subscription services are a good choice for those that either want to learn to cook and learn how ingredients come together ( Sour-Sweet-Fat-Acid etc ) and the step by step follow along recipes and repetition allows this to be learnt in a baby steps manner.
As such I could see a pre-paid subscription a nice gift for a person whom has just left home , or lacks cooking skills but wants to learn. Or maybe just a person that doesn't want to think too much ( which I admit can be a relief ) about what too cook for tonights sustenance.

Very useful for learning different spices and seasoning and how certain foody things are made ( I'm often surprised how many people can't make a basic cheese sauce ) so here you can at least learn how to make learning cooking steps an incremental thing as opposed to a vertical intimidating wall of potential failure.

Menu Sheets.
As mentioned each baggy comes with a menu sheet - over time its very possible to see what you do like, discard what you don't like and build up a small library of menus and more importantly the required amount of ingredients you need to recreate those dishes.

These sheets once compiled the give you an exact idea of what one needs to shop for a week/fortnights/months shopping. Which can be useful.

Hello fresh
I liked Hello Fresh the best - One bag - all the items in the same bag and very much a 'onepot' cooking style , which can be good and bad , one pot cooking is quick and easy for cleaning and cooking but can lack textural variation.

Gousto - All food delivered in one box ( so less waste ) which I found a faff to separate out to its prerequisite elements which in the end annoyed me. Its a small thing but got too me. The cooking is more varied and probably higher end than Hello Fresh ( more spices and even more diverse ingredients ) - several pots used and different cooking techniques of ingredients which lead to long cooking times but a more varied plate of food. More time consuming than Hello Fresh in my opinion.

Planthood -- I wanted to try a vegetarian option for a while and the food ( whilst it and my wallet lasted ) was indeed interesting and tasty and no doubt nutritious. If I Could find a cheaper alternative I would try this route again just to experiment more with meat free food - not that I have any issue with meat consumption in general.

PERKS and DISCOUNTS
As with all businesses they are keen to retain your custom and patronage - and like Banks will only give you the good deals when you play them off against each other. If you stay long enough you'll be provided with options to introduce friends via a free week of food in exchange for their ( consenting ) email.

If you go to leave or use your an your partners emails like most things you can be rewarded with better rates and special offers and obviously if you take a break they will be keen to get you back and onboard.

Anyway - I just thought it maybe useful to someone if I shared my thoughts and if anyone wants any questions answered please do ask.
Part of my job as health and wellbeing co-ordinator is to encourage healthy lifestyle choices and your findings have given me a lot of food for thought(no pun intended) To be honest I had just never thought of this. At the very least it opens up some interesting conversations with the groups I work with. I like that it gives a fresh and possibly exciting way of thinking about food.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Part of my job as health and wellbeing co-ordinator is to encourage healthy lifestyle choices and your findings have given me a lot of food for thought(no pun intended) To be honest I had just never thought of this. At the very least it opens up some interesting conversations with the groups I work with. I like that it gives a fresh and possibly exciting way of thinking about food.

Well - that sounds positive - I hope it helps. I can see the general appeal of food subscription services -for me no longer having to do a 'big shop' and then dash in for bits and pieces during the week is now doubt an aid to my blood pressure mental well being.

There are other services out there and soon after a small hiatus I will be trying some different ones for variety and trying to work out a better system of objective and subjective judgement. I will update my findings next year.

Reactions: gibson 175

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
My wife and I had a good conversation this morning about our diets. Our way forward is she will continue to order Hello fresh for her.

I will order organic steak for myself and just eat that for my evening meal. I've been going this way on and off for a while now, but I'm gonna fully commit to an animal based diet.

For clarity (if you're interested....), animal based means my diet will consist of meats, eggs and some fish. Natural yoghurt, butter, and fruits.

Like I said, I've been on and off with this diet for a while now, and for me, it works. I don't get bloated, I don't have energy crashes, and I feel lighter and more agile. For more info on this type of diet, take a look at Dr Paul Saladino.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
My wife and I had a good conversation this morning about our diets. Our way forward is she will continue to order Hello fresh for her.

I will order organic steak for myself and just eat that for my evening meal. I've been going this way on and off for a while now, but I'm gonna fully commit to an animal based diet.

For clarity (if you're interested....), animal based means my diet will consist of meats, eggs and some fish. Natural yoghurt, butter, and fruits.

Like I said, I've been on and off with this diet for a while now, and for me, it works. I don't get bloated, I don't have energy crashes, and I feel lighter and more agile. For more info on this type of diet, take a look at Dr Paul Saladino.

out of interest as we are talking what do you think your daily or weekly spend will be for yourself?
Idea of how much protein or calories you will be aiming for per day?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE