Hedge sparrow's nest

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just found a Dunnock's nest in the ivy and honeysuckle that covers the fence between my garden and my neighbour's. Unfortunately so has my cat :(

Tamsin sits behind the pond, looking upwards at the snarl of honeysuckle and rose stems where I've seen the bird go through into the ivy, tail twitching gently.

I gently parted the leaves to be greeted by a bunch of open little vividly red mouths :D Beautiful, :cool: and the hen came back and fed them afterwards so I haven't caused them to be abandoned.

Now I've got to figure out how to discourage the cat :banghead:

The ivy is full of nests, I know there's a wren's just a little further along and the blackie is building behind the blackcurrant bush too.

I feed the birds so more survive than would otherwise despite me having a cat as a pet. Tamsin doesn't hunt much thankfully, and she knows better than bring anything in, but she does take some.

I remember as a very little girl, just the right height long before I went to school, to see into the hedge and into the blackie's nest, feeding the cloking hen, and later the chicks, worms. I was so tempted to do the same thing tonight, but the cat follows me around and I really don't want to keep her attention on the nest.

I'll see if HWMBLT can get a photo tomorrow.

cheers,
Toddy

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Maybe stop feeding them then the site will be less attractive for the birds to come back to next year?

And if it's not got them by now, the only ones it will probably get will be ones that fall out the nest, and they'd be gonners anyways.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE