Heathlands: Nutrient Absorption in Plants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello. I have a heathland assignment for college and I'm wondering if anyone with the requisite knowledge could look over a few paragraphs of mine. The course is a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Conservation/Ecology. I knew most of the information already regarding heathlands, however there are certain science elements which I'm not entirely at ease with due to my having never taken biology or chemistry. Regrettable indeed...

I'd appreciate if anyone could look over this and see if it's alright. The assignment is to produce a leaflet so the writing doesn't need to be too in-depth. I'm just wondering if the information is correct.

Here's an excerpt.

Nutrient Absorption
As heathland soils are low in nutrients, particularly nitrogen, heathland plants have a number of ways to make this available. Nitrogen is absorbed through the roots as ammonium or nitrate ions, however much is wasted due to the free-draining nature of podzol soil. Chelates, molecules that retain metal minerals, are therefore required. Metal, usually insoluble iron, is loosely bound in chelate molecules to make them available to plants.

Fungi
Heather (belonging to the family Ericaceae) has a symbiotic relationship with certain fungi called Ericoid Mycorrhiza. It is this mycorrhiza which fixes atmospheric nitrogen into ammonium and nitrate ions to be absorbed by the plants. They also process organic materials to release phosphates and regulate plant uptake of metals in the soil, such as iron, aluminium and manganese. In return the fungi use sugars produced by the plant during photosynthesis.

Bacteria - Rhizobia
Another way in which plants gain nitrogen is through the nitrogen-fixing bacteria Rhizobia, which attach themselves to the host plant’s roots. Inside these nodules the rhizobia fix nitrogen by converting nitrogen gas into ammonia.

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
In leaflet carniverous plants are always interesting and I believe that they are present on heathland especially wet heathland. Text seems OK.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
It looks OK to me. As Boatman says, especially if it's wet you get carnivorous plants, in the UK you might find sundew (Drosera) and butterwort (Pinguicula). Sundew is pretty common, butterwort less so but I see it on Dartmoor.

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Thanks all.
Toddy, there are undoubtedly other adaptions and peculiarities, but we only have to go from what we've been taught so far. We're actually rewarded for brevity so I'll have to leave it out. That's a good bit of information though. What I wrote is basically everything I had in my notes, but written in my own words. Thanks.

Ah, yes. We'd covered that certain plants are insectivorous, such as Drosera Rotundifolia found in wet heathland types, which I'd forgotten to include. Much appreciated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE