headsup on foil emergency blankets

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I've got one of the larger ones. Seems fine but a bit bulky, if light. I'd actually recommend the Heat-Sheets http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350585704867?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Got three of the 1-2 person sheets sent from the USA for about 18 quid. gonna have a play with them in the snow, and also got some vague ideas about using them as a partial lining in my tipi. Some good videos about them on youtube - this one is particularly good imho http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z1-xoIPxOQ&feature=plcp

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Thanks for that. I might have to get a larger one. I want it to put in my hammock do I can sleep out in winter.
Thanks
Jacob

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They are designed more to reflect heat from the body its wrapped around not from what is in contact with the ground which will still take heat away from you.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
They are designed more to reflect heat from the body its wrapped around not from what is in contact with the ground which will still take heat away from you.

Agreed but with they will still be better than a non reflective ground sheet and when used in tandem with one over and a fire in front should be more thermally efficient. Similar principle to the Finnish Vihe Loue shelter.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
They have those exact ones for sale in my local QD superstore for £2.99 ;)

At 160g and warmer than non reflective foam, they are great for in between the layers of a hammock or as a sheet to go under an airmat.

These aren't big enough to wrap round you, they are sold as "camping mats' for using as a groundsheet. The reflective side will still reflect radiated Infra red whether its placed on the ground or wherever.
I've tested this out-I have 2 identical thickness foam mats made from identical closed cell foa., one has an aluminized Mylar covering, one doesn't. The reflective one is noticably warmer when lying on it.

I agree about the original emergency blanket, these however are seperated from conduction to the ground somewhat by the thin foam layer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE