Heads up: Buffalo shirts in Field & Trek sale

mrstorey

Forager
I've also flagged this up over at BB. Not sure if here is the best place for it, but here goes...

Field and Trek have got a sale on at the moment, with free UK delivery on orders over £75. There's the usual mix of top-end stuff and crummy torches, etc, but you might be interested to hear that they've got a couple of Buffalo shirts at pretty decent prices...

Buffalo Active Shirt
£79.99
RRP £114.99

Buffalo Special 6 Shirt
£69.99
RRP £109.99

They've also got a couple of promotional codes on the go too, giving you 20% off orders over £45. Type in SF58 or ST68 to get the discount, although it doesn't work with the Buffalo shirts 'cos they're already discounted :-(

As ever, the disclaimer: don't work for 'em, just know a lot of bushcrafty people rave about the shirts...

Cheers,

Michael.

Barblade

Dec 15, 2005
Lancashire, UK
I can vouch for the buffalo shirts - I had my first decent morning testing mine today at -9C (-16F) (didn't get it from Field and Trek - though I have bought stuff from there before and they're pretty good to deal with, though evilbay might be a bit cheaper if you can find any going new - I paid ~£55 inc delivery with a detatchable hood)

I was a bit skeptical when I bought the shirt a month or so ago, after reading you could fall in a river and be dry after 10 minutes activity from one reviewer, but it definately proved it does what it says on the tin. Wearing only the shirt with no base layer, after 15 minutes brisk walking in moderate snow I was damp but warm enough to have to unzip the shirt upto my pits to keep myself overheating - a bit like being in a warmish shower to be honest so not exactly unpleasant.

Bear in mind if you are planning on getting one the sizes run a bit on the snug size - this is after all a Shirt i.e. next to the skin rather than a softshell which is designed to be worn over something.

Another thing to be aware of is that the outer skin is made of pertex 6, so is windproof and "abrasion resistant" but I definately wouldn't fancy wearing it around a fire as melty polyester all over your skin ain't nice.

Barblade

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I have used the buffalo system for many years now, incorporating the special 6 shirt, hood and trousers. I mainly wear the full getup for mountaineering or hillwalking in the winter and I can tell you they do the job. I sometimes wear just underpants under the setup and am cosy as anything (you do get a little sweaty depending on the user)..
The only problem I have found is that is can be a little bulky at times and is not fully waterproof (it doesnt claim to be). It can hold its own in a downpour and relys on very fast drying times due to evaporation i.e wind etc.
I use the shirt for my bushcraft purposes, but as said above I am a liitle wary when it comes to fire and sparks with poly materials.
All in all one of the best outdoor systems for cold weather hands down.....

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
I looked through all the Field and Trek special offers, thought you might like to know they are also selling thermarests cheap.
Thermarest Z-Lite £16.99 (RRP £24.99)
Thermarest Trail 3 £29.99 (RRP £44.99)

jay120970

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
devon
i also use the buffalo sp6 system along with the super bag for nights out
i can 100% vouch for the performance in the wet and cold
like you said they arnt waterproof but boy do they dry quick i have gone to bed in my bag soaking and been warm and woke up dry
as for fire and sparks i carry a lightweight canvass jacket(cheap combat jacket) to pull over the
top of the buffalo when working around fire

buffalo BIG THUMBS UP :You_Rock_

PS as for sizing am a 44 chest but when trying on a 44 buffalo found it a bit restrictive
and went for a 46 ive not noticed any less a performance in the garment

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE