Headlamps, my pick.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
Oh, a flashlight is not very old fashion but often needed for the bush.

Until now I made do with a Minimag and a Nite Eze head band. It worked but regular bulbs eat batteries quick, this can be solved with an LED after-market mod but then you still have the problem of batteries incased in metal which is bad in the winter.

So I began my search for a headlight. Our local hiking shop must have had every model ever made except for the discount store variety. It was tempting to go for cheap at first but cheap usually means less options and less light range.

For years the Tikka and then the Tikka Plus was quoted over and over again in hiker magazines and books. I alway take note of gear that comes up in references over and over again, so I bought the Tikka Plus but then read reviews on the Tikka XP.

I took back the Plus and bought the XP and this is the stuff! It is LED which is known tradionaly for not having the distance of a regular bulb but they get around this by having a high output LED with a lens much light a lighthouse uses. This gives you a spot perfect for night hiking. Around camp however, a flood light is better, so the XP comes with a sliding lens that gives you this! Other features include a battery life indicator, a switch for high, medium, low, and flashing light. Why adjustable light? Two reasons: to extend battery life when full power is not needed, and to allow for up close reading without bright glare reflecting off the pag. There is also a press only switch that give 50% more light than High setting for when you need a blast of light. The XP will prevent you from overheating the unit on the boost mode by putting it back to normal after several seconds even if you are still holding the switch.

Batteries are 3 AAA and I find the curve of the case to be very comfortable on the head. It weights about 3.2 ounces.

If you need a quality head lamp I reccomend you look into this light. It is made by Petzl of France, makers of climbing gear.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE