Hay box cooker

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Why not skip building something, and wrap the pot in an old sheet of some sort, and stuff it underneath the quilt/sleepingbag etc. instead?

Remember though folks. Cooking is started on regular heat-source. The hay-box is only used to "finish it off" or keep it warm.

I have cooked numerous chickens and beef and stuff in my sleepingbag, during a hike. The dinner was ready, as soon as i have set up camp for the night. Works A+

Few good sized stones in campfire during morning-coffeebrewing, prepare the meat with a bit of filling/spices etc. Wrap meat around the stone/stuff stone inside the fowl, wrap meat/fowl with tin-foil or equal, bit of newspaper to soak up the wet stuff, and a bag of somesort to prevent it dripping out into your sleepingbag.
Put sleepingbag in your rucksack, and start hiking.
When youre good to set up camp for the night, the fowl/meat is ready to eat, and steaming hot.
Word of advice: Do NOT try to cook "dry" stuff, e.g. potatoes or the like with this method. It will most likely cause your sleepingbag to turn into either melted plastic or charcloth.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What if you haven't got hay? . I guess polystyrene beads would work well, but what about natural materials? dry leaf litter perhaps? or dead bracken?

anyone actually used this method? :)

In the scouts back in the 60's we used the method I listed, it worked well, I've tried it at home using a cardboard box and news paper it worked fine, out doors I would think you could use stuff like dried grass etc

DKW said
"Why not skip building something, and wrap the pot in an old sheet of some sort, and stuff it underneath the quilt/sleepingbag etc. instead?"

yep, works too, and we have talked about this here before, the main reason for posting was historical reference; I have wide mouthed thermos flasks which 'cook' very well.

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
yep, works too, and we have talked about this here before, the main reason for posting was historical reference; I have wide mouthed thermos flasks which 'cook' very well.

It wasn't to put anything off, just to add to the thread, if you got me wrong on that, i appologize. I am not english, so i do get something written wrong occasionally ;)

The Hay-box is brilliant. As a matter of fact, we do call everything that cooks in a similar way a 'Hay-box' nomatter what it is made of.
I know my grandmother used to cook potatoes and riceporridge that way, and my mother also does. I have been influenced by this, and do it myself aswell. :rolleyes:

Jumbalaya

Tenderfoot
Was doing some research on Africa last year and saw a picture of some locals (think it may have been Nigeria or Kenya) who were doing similar thing with dried banana leaves.

Large piece of netting covered with dried leaves, then a trad. 'missionary' cooking pot :) placed on the mat and the whole thing cocooned round the pot and tied at the top.

So there's nothing new in life is there. :)

Marcus H

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I ought to try that.

I recently found three old russian made stewpots at the car boot, 50p

one really big but there are two others, 1.5 litre, which will be just right for this.

luddy

Oct 27, 2008
SW
I was planning to try it with a cool bag which I got free from Cotton Traders, and some packing peanuts. I'll let you know how I get on. If it works like that, I'll try it out in the field with a different insulator material.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE