Hawthorn tea

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
I was reading in Bushcraft and Survival Skills Magazine that you can make tea from hawthorn leaves and flowers. Can anyone give me some advice on this, ie what sort of preparation is required or can I just add the leaves and flowers to boiling water. Is it better to have more leaves or flowers.

Thanks very much.

Mike

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
I guess it is all a matter of taste

If you really like it try drying some flowers for later in the year too :)

Tant

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
it really is as simple as collecting the leaves in a mug an pouring hot water over them, letting it steep for a couple of minutes. However, I suggest you use the youngest leaves you can find. It is a refreshing brew, tasting slightly of apple (the moreso as you reach the bottom).

You can also use young beech leaves, but be sure that they are young ones, I understand that as they get older they become mildly poisonous - or at least stomach churning... can someone confirm this please?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I tried beech leaves today, and after seeing this thread I tried the tea aswell! I put a couple of hawthorn leaves in and about a handful of flowers, and it was howling! I'm not too bothered about trying it again in a hurry, but I may give it a second chance if more info comes available on the correct way to make it!

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
spamel said:
I tried beech leaves today, and after seeing this thread I tried the tea aswell! I put a couple of hawthorn leaves in and about a handful of flowers, and it was howling! I'm not too bothered about trying it again in a hurry, but I may give it a second chance if more info comes available on the correct way to make it!

LOL, I tried munching a young, fresh new leaf the other day and found it to be very bitter. I'm not fancying a butty full :yuck: :lmao:

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Well, I've just been out walking the dog and grabbed a handful of fresh leaves (about 40%) and flowers (about 60%) and made a brew. 2 minutes steeped in boiling water then strained.

My thoughts - very heady aroma and taste, slightly floral. More akin to a veggie stock really, quite nice actually. I will try it again tomorrow and see if I have aquired the taste.

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
I tried it last night and it was OK. Thought about trying again tonight with some local honey to try and sweeten it.

I understand the tea is suposed to help aid restful however, it you make a tincture out of the berries it is supposed to help lower colesterol (sorry about spelling) and help blood pressure. I have no idea how to make it but did a google search and you mix it with alcohol (45%). If anyone knows more it would be interesting.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've been trying a fair few leaves recently - based on my old (circa 1977) copy of Food for Free. On the whole, I'm finding everything very bitter (maybe that's my sweet tooth showing!) and not too pleasant to eat. Perhaps I need to develop my palate a bit more - or mix these things in a stew /salad or something to bring out the mix of flavours (or mask them!).

Dandelion leaves - I found too bitter to eat and enjoy by themselves. However, I have made some dandelion, burdock and nettle beer which should be ready for drinking this weekend.

Dandelion root coffee - I can see why it is called a coffee substitute (smell and taste are vaguely similar to coffee) and I did drink a cup of it but felt I had to finish it because I had spent a lot of effort digging up the roots and roasting it. Started to feel a bit queasy after finishing it.

Nettles - I haven't tried eating them yet, but nettle tea (three nettle tops steeped in water for about 10 minutes) was OK - but smelled very strongly of guess what: nettles! I'd probably prefer it with something else mixed in, but it wasn't bitter.

Wild Chervil (cow parsley): a leaf by itself was fairly bitter - but then again I believe it is more generally used as a flavouring. I guess that if I tried a leaf of sage or something similar from the garden that it may well taste bitter too.

Hawthorn leaves - Richard Mabey describes them as having a 'pleasantly nutty taste'. I agree with matt-w - they taste bitter to me. I tried some hawthron flowers yesterday and they were slightly better - maybe I'll try the leaf /flower tea.

Hawthorn berries - I'll have to wait until later in the year for this, but I saw Ray Mears in his recent programme squeeze out the juice from the berries, which jellified into a sort of cake and he then cut it into slices and dried it and it formed a sort of fruit jerky - he was eating a piece that he said was three years old.

Wavy bittercress - I found a big patch around my compost heap and this was nice - it really did taste like cress and I enjoyed eating it.

Cornsalad - there's a patch in my garden but I haven't got around to trying it yet.

Hedge garlic - I believe that this would normally be mixed in with something, but I found that chewing a leaf wasn't too bad - a reasonably pleasant garlic taste.

Willow twig - tried chewing this to see if I could throw off a mild headache - now this really is bitter. But is isn't meant to taste nice!

Geoff

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
:lmao: I believe I did mention willow was bitter somewhere on here , if you must drink willow tea, honey is reccomended.

Dandelions can be stood in a bunch with the cut ends in water overnight , this removes a lot of the bitterness, but it is still at the chicory and endive side of the salad scale.

HTH

Tant

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I had nettles and egg for a snack the other day, it was really nice! A twist of pepper and a pinch of salt, knob of butter, tasted absolutely fantastic!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE