Hawthorn Berry Fruit Leather

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Are there any tutorials on making the fruit leather from hawthorn berries?

I had a crack at it yesterday, just off the back of watching RM do it on his latest wild food series.

After mushing them in a bowl and adding water to the mixture, i then sieved the "gloop" on to a baking tray, and put it in a very low oven to try and dry it (as there was no sun where i was).

The only trouble is, is hasnt gone hard, its still quite flexible and spongey to touch, will it carry on drying out?? I have tasted it and it tastes quite refreshing, not a strong flavour but just pleasant and mildly fruity and cleanses the palate quite well.

Anyone else had a dabble at this??

BushVen

Life Member
Nice to hear your've had a go at the hawthorn leather. I think you will find that you need to dry the 'leather' for a longer period of time, it can take up to 12 hours depending on how much water was used, the surface area / thickness and the temperature. It's best to do this slowly as you don't want to bake, only dry.
I tried this several years ago and dryed the hawthorn leather over 2 days, as you said its a bit bland, but thats the case with many wild foods.
All the best of luck and be patient.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
yes the berries were pretty good, quite large and still relatively ripe for this time of year.

The mixture was spread about 3-4mm thick so hopefully will dry out and go hard. although its quite nice to have a bit of chew to it, but will it stay preserved soft, or does it need to be hard to be able to keep it for say, 6 months??

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A pal of mine made some a few weeks back and it`s been drying out in his kitchen since, I had a look at it on Saturday and it looked to be going mouldy. I have a suspicion the window sill where it is sat maybe gets a bit of condensation and the moisture is what`s going off. I had a little nibble but I`m not that keen to be honest.

Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE