Have I identified pignut correctly?

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
As I am just getting into unbellifers I thought I would ask those more experienced than myself to confirm if this is pignut.
From what I have read with the leaf structure and the single tuber it seems unlikely that I am wrong as I can not find anything similar to mix it with.
The second question is, whens the best time to have a nibble or is it ok to have all year round?

Thanks for the help

WP_20150611_20_32_27_Pro.jpgWP_20150611_20_34_04_Pro.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's a pignut. The foliagedies back after flowering so this is the best time to find them

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I believe Conopodium majus is an Ancient Woodland Indicator for South-England, so I'm not sure it's wise to uproot? Not sure. Thoughts?
The difference.being ancient woodland indicator or not. It's not even close to endangered species list. It's in the name "pig nuts" as often located for grazing of pigs. We would dig them up as kids and eat them by the dozen. Once you get your eye in, they grow all over the place. Just harvest before dieback. Store like potatoes.

markjohnlang

Sep 12, 2013
stroud
pictures of the leaves would help - but yes agree pignut, remember technically - legally we need the landowners permission to uproot all plants including pignut

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE